• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Have to press clutch in hard to start

Mr. Roboto

NAXJA Forum User
Been having an issue over the last year or so that seems to be getting worse as time goes on. When I start my Jeep, I have to really push the clutch pedal hard into the floor to get it to start. If I don't, I will turn the key and nothing will happen. There must be a sensor to detect weather or not the clutch is in to be able to start the vehicle, where is this located? Any adjustments I can make to it?

It's almost like my floor mat is keeping me from pressing the clutch in all the way, but this is not the case.

Jeep is a 1998 Cherokee Sport 4.0L 5 Speed 4X4

Sounds like a faulty clutch interlock...You can replace it or by pass it, as there is a clutch bypass on '97s and up...

You can by pass the clutch interlock pretty easily. Look above the clutch pedal...I found a green connector with yellow wire just looped back to the same green connector. It was taped under the dash right next to the clutch interlock connector. You just unplug the green connector with the yellow wires and plug it into the other green connector, with the yellow wire looped back to itself.

That procedure will by pass the interlock, but be careful as now you won't need to depress the clutch to start the engine...

Neither of my renixs have needed the clutch to start, i like it that way lol

I wonder he has a faulty weld, cracked foot peddle assy like our older Renix rigs did?

OP should definitely inspect the pedal, but adjustment/replacement of the switch is a likely suspect. Easy enough to test with a $3 meter.

Been having an issue over the last year or so that seems to be getting worse as time goes on. When I start my Jeep, I have to really push the clutch pedal hard into the floor to get it to start. If I don't, I will turn the key and nothing will happen. There must be a sensor to detect weather or not the clutch is in to be able to start the vehicle, where is this located? Any adjustments I can make to it?

It's almost like my floor mat is keeping me from pressing the clutch in all the way, but this is not the case.

Jeep is a 1998 Cherokee Sport 4.0L 5 Speed 4X4

There's a switch at the top of the clutch pedal linkage, so you have to have the clutch OUT to start (so you don't start in gear.)

I think it was added because people are being stupid. Your switch is wearing out - you can either replace it, or just take the two wires and connect them together (no points for guessing what I do...)

Thanks guys, will be taking a look at it Friday after work. I do have a meter that I can test it with. I looked through my FSM and parts catalog and couldn't seem to find a part # of that switch, or even see it listed anywhere. Sounds like the easiest thing to do will be to just bypass it all together.

Thanks guys, will be taking a look at it Friday after work. I do have a meter that I can test it with. I looked through my FSM and parts catalog and couldn't seem to find a part # of that switch, or even see it listed anywhere. Sounds like the easiest thing to do will be to just bypass it all together.

Unless of course, the pedal weld is cracking. Or the switch just needs adjusting.

Actually I just had a thought, if I do bypass the switch, will my cruise control no longer work? I know now if I am on the highway with the cruise control on, and I put the clutch in, it will kick the cruise control off. I am assuming it uses this same sensor to do so, so the computer will think the clutch is always in. I really don't use the cruise control that much, but just wondering if this would be the case.

Probably 2 separate switches. One, the brake light and cruise switch actuates when the pedal is barely pushed. The "start" switch is activated when the pedal is down near the floor.

Why don't you have a peek up there and see what's going on? Seems like all this academic discussion is going on , without any eyes or hands at the source being used.

Yes, a good dose of "noggin pokin'" is in order first chance.

Probably 2 separate switches. One, the brake light and cruise switch actuates when the pedal is barely pushed. The "start" switch is activated when the pedal is down near the floor.

Why don't you have a peek up there and see what's going on? Seems like all this academic discussion is going on , without any eyes or hands at the source being used.

Yes, a good dose of "noggin pokin'" is in order first chance.

Because after working from 6am to 8pm every day this week, the last thing I want to do is go out in the dark and 20 degree weather and look at the clutch on my jeep :laugh:. Just figured id ask to get an idea of where to look so I have some info going in, sorry.

Last edited:
Because after working from 6am to 8pm every day this week, the last thing I want to do is go out in the dark and 20 degree weather and look at the clutch on my jeep :laugh:. Just figured id ask to get an idea of where to look so I have some info going in, sorry.

Nothing to be sorry for. Now it makes sense.

Back