• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeep will run but wont start back up

SquidXJ

NAXJA Forum User
i have a 92 jeep cherokee 4.ol in6. the jeep fired up and ran. after about 5 minutes we shut it off and tired to restart it with no luck. it s getting fuel. can someone please help.

Verify spark.

Remove a plug, keep it attached to the plug wire. Place the plug electrode near a good engine ground. Have a buddy crank the engine while you watch. You are looking for a strong, BLUE, snapping spark. Yellow/orange/white indicates a weak spark which may not be strong enough to start the engine.

If you have a weak spark, test your ignition coil. If you have no spark, the primary suspects would be the crankshaft position sensor and the ignition coil. In that order.

Good luck and keep us updated.

What happens when you try to restart after running briefly and shutting off? Does it crank but not fire up? Or no power at all when you turn the ignition key?

If the latter, suspect the neutral start switch. Mine behaves like this from time to time. Short-term solution: assuming you have auto transmission, try starting in "Neutral" rather than "Park" (or wiggle the shift lever). Long term answer: clean or replace the NSS.

If however you're getting power (and if the fuel pump is working when you switch on) then it's more likely to be a spark problem and birchlakeXJ's advice is what to follow. Either CPS or coil can fail. Both have a tendency to behave erratically before total failure.

It starts cold but once its warm it wont start again? When its running is your check engine light on? And does it smell like fuel under the hood when it wont start? I had that wierd issue. I went out to buy a new coolent temp sensor that is in the thermostat housing and was a bad sensor, gave a constat check engine light and when I shut off the jeep wouldnt start and smelt like fuel. Seems the sensor made the ECU think coolent much colder then really was and flooded the engine so wouldnt start hot. Put my old sensor back in and runs right away again. I still need to replace that sensor as my factory one wont kick on my auxilary fan but learned that odd thing with that sensor

Back