• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What's the best lift height for an XJ

egpeil

NAXJA Forum User
This question may have been posted before but there's just too many threads to search thru. Any way - I have a 90 XJ, 4-dr, 5-spd that is still stock but I am going to lift it w/ the intention of building a streetable Jeepspeed rig. I can't just buy everything all at once so it's going to be one upgrade at a time. The 1st is a lift so I was wondering if there is an optimal lift height for XJs - I'd like to run 35s if that is doable. :dunno:

You will need atleast 8" to run 35s but id recomend 9-10

Most of the jeepspeed guys tend to run around 5-6.5" over stock it seems.

There is a lot more to making the rig work in the go fast than height though.

Check out some of the builds in the Jeepspeed section.

Some research will go a long way.

I'm not one to spoon feed someone information if they are too lazy to look for it themselves. Once you get a grasp of the topic at hand, people will be much more willing to help you with your more narrowed down/technical questions.

For what ever amount of lift your run, bush wacker fender flairs or napier v2 fender flairs will give you a couple of inches tire clearence.

If you want to build a DD rig, I recommend you look up the DMV rules for your state. This will give you max street legal allowable lift for your area and give you an idea whether you need to compromise, build a trailer queen, or change your goal completely.

I am 5.5" higher than stock and only fit my 35s with fender trimming and bump stops a bit high. I only have 10" front travel but can flex and turn full lock in the rocks.

To build a Jeep Speed-type rig for, running 35"s, is going to cost baskets loads of money if you want it done right and made dependable (not to mention hundreds or thousands of hours of skilled work).
Just about everything, except the engine and trans, needs modifying or replacement with better, stronger parts.
How do you plan on using this rig? And is it your first build?
You might want to consider a smaller lift and 31"s or 33"s to keep the cost from going to the moon. Not sure where in Florida 35"s are needed unless you are going mudding. If so, I have no suggestions other than 'don't do it".
I hate mud and the damage it causes to the mechanicals.

Back