• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what is this

sandsgg

NAXJA Forum User
So this little tab thing clunks when i turn
2013-01-17_11-51-42_780_zps17b5b7ba.jpg

Also what it's this little blue thing
2013-01-20_13-36-30_741_zps7ee1d9d2.jpg

The tab thing is the nut for the trackbar. Tighten it up. The factory welded a small plate on the nut to keep it from turning so you don't have to fit a wrench up in there to tighten it. Just put a wrench on the head of the bolt to tighten.

Can't see enough of the blue thing to say.

That's some sort of vacuum transducer or solenoid, probably for the 4wd system, but not sure. What year jeep? Looks like a RENIX but I'm not sure, always post the year/vehicle specifics when asking tech questions because it makes things way easier.

I think that is the vacuum/electric switch for the 4wd indicator light. Should be a vacuum line that runs down to the vacuum motor on the CAD axle.

I think that is the vacuum/electric switch for the 4wd indicator light. Should be a vacuum line that runs down to the vacuum motor on the CAD axle.

On an 88? I have an 87 and 89 4wd, never seen one.

It looks a lot like the 4wd indicator light vac switch I tore out of a friend's 87 YJ when swapping in an XJ drivetrain, which is why I guessed it was one of those.

On an 88? I have an 87 and 89 4wd, never seen one.

If you have the CAD axle you should have that switch. When the vacuum motor has "engaged" the collar, connecting the front axle, there is a third port on the vacuum motor that sends a vacuum signal to that switch and that completes the 4wd lamp circuit.

Cool beans thanks. I was just under the hood, saw it and said wtf is that lol thank you all for the help, i love it here so much useful knowledge

Ha...neither my 88 & 96 have a CAD axle....may explain why I ain't never seen that blue thing

Altho the 96 is a CA emissions vehicle in VA....go figure

So which rigs had CAD axles?

Anything with a 231 until 91/92 or so I think? I believe 242 vehicles were non CAD.

I might have that backwards.

My 87 Wagoneer Ltd Ed has the 242, and Dana 44, and does not have the CAD, so that maybe right.

Anything with a 231 until 91/92 or so I think? I believe 242 vehicles were non CAD.

I might have that backwards.

As far as your first pic, if it is making noise I would replace the track bar. It looks like rust in the middle which means it is probably worn out the bushing!

Back