• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cost to trim

frankrizzo

NAXJA Forum User
around how much do you guys think a shop would charge to have my fenders trimmed up front and cut and fold in the rear. i dont have the tools to do it myself and even if i did i wouldnt want to mess things up? i removed all the plastic trim myself already

go to harbor freight and spend 10 bucks on a angle grinder and you got your answer....

If you do go to a shop, post up some detailed pics, I for one would like to see how a pro would do rear fenders.

I just might do that. I know everyone says to do it myself, but I don't have the guts to do it. I'm a perfectionist and if I f°°k it up i'm gonna be kicking myself.anyone have a guesstimate cost it would be?

I just might do that. I know everyone says to do it myself, but I don't have the guts to do it. I'm a perfectionist and if I f°°k it up i'm gonna be kicking myself.anyone have a guesstimate cost it would be?

Do several google searches there are at least three or four really good write ups with photos I used a 4 inch grinder with cut off wheel and a die grinder with a 2 inch wheel no matter what it won't be perfect once you take off flairs. Here is my build sheet with some photos and info.
http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f46/2001-xj-orange-county-143189/

Food for thought... If I'm PAYING to have it done, I wouldn't cut and fold the rear. I'd have them separate the inner panel and then reweld it. A reputable shop SHOULD have too much pride to let a cut and fold come out of their shop anyway.

I'm anal about my jeep as well. (well, that's a lie... As of lately I just apply the "10ft rule") But it's honestly one of those things you can spend days reading about, and preparing for... But it only takes a couple hours to do. It's also an opportunity to buy tools you don't have! And it'd still be far cheaper than a shop doing it.

If your 100% against doing it yourself though, I agree that checking with your local chapter and bribing someone with beer is the best bet.

EDIT: ya... Just noticed your from the MW. If your going to be one of us, we won't let you take it to the shop to be done. Most of us are uglier than we are harmful. Go introduce yourself.

Last edited:
If your not comfortable with an angle grinder... dont do it!

I like the idea about asking your local chapter for help.

As for a price, it is very hard to say, and allmost definately gonna be considered 'too much'. Most of us are cheap, and shop labor aint cheap.

If you deceide to give it a shot, and wanted practice, you could allways mark it just barely above the existing arch, and give it a shot. Use good cut-off wheels, (not harbor freight), and make sure they are in good condition, without any cracks/fractures. Use a full face shield, and be carefull. Since you are cutting on an arch, its not just 'plunge-cut, and let it run', Think of it more as a small step past a score'd cut. Once you get the hang of it, its really not difficult to cut on that arch. Just remember which side of the cut you want to keep, you can leave extra, and smooth it out with a flap wheel, but if you cut too much, its harder to fix.

if you dont want to use a sawzall or an angle grinder, buy some tin snips, left, right and straight, a hammer, and some pliers. If you are a perfectionist, take your time, and read the tons of threads that do cut and folds. It is one of the easiest , cheapest, and simplest mods you can do to your rig.

Yes and no

I would not spend that kind of coin to have it done, but with shp rates at about $100/hr, 2 hours seems like a fair time estimate

Got a quote of $200. Seems quite expensive no?

Not at all. What were you expecting?
Shop time is expensive, theyve got bills to pay. Think about if from their point of view. Any less than $200 isnt worth it to them, theyre not in buisness to make friends. Theyve got power bills to pay, insurance to cover, and a bit of profit as well...

If your gonna be cheap, do it yourself. We called it that whatever the price, you would think its too much... SIGH.

Got a quote of $200. Seems quite expensive no?

Not really, no. Shops charge between 60 and 120 an hour, and its a 2-4 hour job to really do it right.

It sounds like a steal, and I'd be afraid at that price you're getting a hack job back.

Post up in your chapter offering beer and food and bet one of those guys would help ya out.
Try this first, you be surprised the amount of quality help you can get from the guys in your area.

Shop = $200
Cold Beer & Pizza = $40

:callme: Flare party

I have to trim mine and I'm a bit anal on things looking good/perfect..
So the plan goes like this.. Apply some painter's tape draw the cut and take a step baclk check to see if it's what you want, and start cutting with your die grinder slowly making sure you have some blanckets over the painted surfaces.

Back