• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Question about Aussie Lockers D30 with a 242

Qban

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 98XJ with D30 in the front and a 242 tcase. Is their any problem with installing an Aussie locker on the front. I read that the front locker situation is different depending on your tcase but I didn't understand why.

Thanks

I think that with the 242 TC you would want a switchable locker or the detroit true-trac. When power is applied to the front as with the 242 it will cause the aussie to lock up.

When power is applied to the front as with the 242 it will cause the aussie to lock up.
When power is applied to the front as with any transfercase, it will cause the aussie to lock up. Which I should hope it would do, as it means that everything is working correctly.

OP, the reason why many people say to do a selectable locker in the front with a 242, is that you will lose the part-time 4wd option with a lunchbox. If you put it in part-time with a selectable locker unlocked, it will function as it should as an AWD set up. The part-time option was intended to allow the operator to use the 4wd system on the road without causing too much bind and stress on the case. With a lunchbox locker, it will lock-up in both part and full time, and not allow you to safely take advantage of the part-time selection on the road.

So, you can use whatever locker you want in the front with a 242, you will just lose the part-time functionality if you do a lunchbox locker. That may not be a big deal to you though.

I run a spartan in the front d30 of my 1990 XJ. It clicks quite a bit on the road on tight turns, even in 2wd (nv242 t-case), but it works flawlessly off road. It's not a DD, so the clicking doesn't bother me nor does it do any harm to the locker or diff. I never use the 4FullTime (AWD) option on dry road either.

When power is applied to the front as with any transfercase, it will cause the aussie to lock up. Which I should hope it would do, as it means that everything is working correctly.

OP, the reason why many people say to do a selectable locker in the front with a 242, is that you will lose the part-time 4wd option with a lunchbox. If you put it in part-time with a selectable locker unlocked, it will function as it should as an AWD set up. The part-time option was intended to allow the operator to use the 4wd system on the road without causing too much bind and stress on the case. With a lunchbox locker, it will lock-up in both part and full time, and not allow you to safely take advantage of the part-time selection on the road.

So, you can use whatever locker you want in the front with a 242, you will just lose the part-time functionality if you do a lunchbox locker. That may not be a big deal to you though.

You have your full time and part time terms mixed up. In part time mode, the 242 works just like the 231. In full time mode, it allows slippage in the T-case for use on the road for snow etc. If you put an automatic locker like the Aussie in with the 242, your full time mode won't work correctly. If you only use the part time selection of the 242 then it will be fine, just like a 231.

^ this.

I have a 242 with an SYE and a recent rebuild on it so I went with the truetrac. But in hindsight I should've just done a real locker. I rarely use the full time and I have another car to DD now. All depends on how often you use full time, if ever

You have your full time and part time terms mixed up. In part time mode, the 242 works just like the 231. In full time mode, it allows slippage in the T-case for use on the road for snow etc. If you put an automatic locker like the Aussie in with the 242, your full time mode won't work correctly. If you only use the part time selection of the 242 then it will be fine, just like a 231.

Damn it, my dyslexia strikes again. Yes you're right, I just reversed the terms.

I have a 98XJ with D30 in the front and a 242 tcase. Is their any problem with installing an Aussie locker on the front. I read that the front locker situation is different depending on your tcase but I didn't understand why.

Thanks

What is stated on all automatic lockers is that you cant /should not use in the front of a FULL TIME AWD system, they are automatic so if you use on in a system that is AWD (full time) you will break stuff. as long as you use the 2wd mode on dry no slip surfaces your fine. only engage 4wd or AWD when on loose or slippery surface. simple. for the cost there is no better option for street and trail rig.

Back