• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Removing steering stabilizer?

ZenDragon

NAXJA Forum User
So Im still rocking the silly weakling stock tie rod, and after 200,000 miles and the nearly 18 years this jeep has been on the road, the tie rod ends are in obvious need of replacement. So I was looking at just replacing the whole setup with the over knuckle setup from JCR. However given this is still my DD I am concerned about what, if any, are negative side effects (on-road) of removing the steering stabilizer.

P.S. Currently I am running only a 3.5" lift with 31x10's, nothing too fancy.

steering stabilizers tend to be more of a band aid to steering issues. assuming everything is set up correctly, removal of the stabilizer will provide no ill effect... and if there is an ill effect, the issue is something other than the stabilizer not being there.

Well let me ask you this; If there were other issues what kind of problems would you expect to see? And what are the most common problems people have that I should look out for when I do this? Overall the setup seems incredibly simple, but I don't want to this and end up with death wobble or something because I neglected something else.

steering stabilizers prevent all the input on the tires from being transfered directly into the steering wheel.

they are a good idea for on-road rigs, they prevent things like potholes from jerking the steering wheel out of your hand.

they also absorb a lot of the shock loads that the steering system sees offroad and keeps the loads from being transferred into the gearbox.

It's there to absorb some of the blows transmitted through the tie rods and drag links generated by road imperfections. It's simply a shock absorber, just like at the wheels. I try to keep good ones on my fleet if only to make the steering box's life a little easier. Most live axle front ends use them, so the engineers must have put them on for a reason. I agree that they can act as a band-aid, possibly quelling a slight wobble condition. If you can do without it, then great. But I feel that these crude suspensions need all the help they can get. For what it's worth, some '70s cars, with control arm suspensions, also employed them, as some cars, especially GM mid-sized cars were set up with excessive caster, to give them a greater sense of 'road feel', with the addition of radial tires. Too much caster is one of the contributing factors to Death Wobble, so you can see where something like a steering stabilizer might be of use.

I've had OME and Rancho stabilizers, but my two stockers seem happiest with original equipment types. Most stockers that I've used are made by Monroe, and they're decent units.

Back