• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rebuilding an AMC tire carrier

Renegade_Azzy

NAXJA Forum User
Picked up a pretty beat AMC made XJ tire carrier with most of the bracketry required. The hinges / bearings are shot... and I have not seen a good picture of them anywhere, only a part number.

Anyone have the old style swing out carrier and a camera?

ehall rebuilt a stock one awhile back. Here's a link to the for sale thread when he sold it with some good pics of it.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1065036

There's also another version that mounts off the side of the quarter panel and such, unlike the bumper mounted one. I had bought one before I sold my last DD XJ, but I never did anything with it and sold it with the jeep.

I had an AMC one. I was going to cut off the nasty ends and weld threaded inserts into the tubes and do smallish rod ends to repair it.

I have an AMC tire carrier, I can get some pictures up later tonight. They don't have bearings, it's more like a copper tapered bushing. I bought my tire carrier from Russ_Pottinger (I think that's his last name). He had an extra set of those bushings but I have no idea where he got them from.

I just started digging through. i found a copy of the FSM for an 86, and cant find any specific bearing spec. So I will probably figure out my own setup to retrofit and make Work. One of the hardest bits on my setup will be getting around the recovery points on the JCR rear bumper.

mines off a broncoII... you asked for an old style.. said nothing about it coming from an XJ :p

works great (picture was pre License plate relocation)
536422_10151101401437957_888730483_n.jpg

Link and part number to bushing please? I've got a amc style carrier in the back yard but never did install because one of the bushings/brass things are tore up good!

Well, I found out those bearing will not work. tonight i thought to clean up the insides of the holes, only to find there was not metal in there, but graphite of some sort.

Then I got to hammering and picking, and eventually used a 19mm socket and a 30mm socket in my vice to push out what was left of the old bearing.

Hole mics around 1.17". Technically 1-11/64", or just under 1-3/16".That corresponds to mmaster part 63195K75,
Steel Ball Joint Swivel Bearing 5/8" ID, 1-3/16" OD, 5/8" Ball Thickness 8.22 Each, 11.22 for lube free
Ive got a whole list of other hardware to replace the rusted out bolts and weak rivets used originally, and all the hardware store numbers (Hillman) that I'll post up later.

Looks like if the ID is 5/8", and the flange bolts I bought to replace the big torx are M12-1.75 x 50. The smooth part of the shaft there is .446, just a hair over 7/16. Tio take up the space, i'll try part 2868T98:

Lubricated Bronze Sleeve Bearings SAE 863—Also called Super Oilite®, this material is similar to SAE 841 but contains more iron for greater strength. Note: Color is silver because of the iron

1/2" long, 1.09 each
I'll use washers to make up the difference.

Here you can see the frame, what is left of the original bearing, and the way too small bearing I got to replace it. If i had a lathe, I would do up a steel collar and just sleeve it down, then tack it in.
20130130_232354.jpg

20130130_232354.jpghttp:

Although, I may give that some thought and see if anyone local would be able to do 2 up for me at a reasonable price.

Subscribed for reference ive been using mine for fiver or so years! It has a 33 mtr on it currentky

Does it hold well?

I know to fit a 31 on stock backspacing I will need to extend the attachment point out ~1 or 2 inches. I am thinking of adding bracing to make the whole thing a bit stronger.

Plus, as i work on it, I find that the years have not been kind to the steel. Not kind at all. Going to need to bust out the mig and gget to work. Wish i had a sandblaster.

I used paint remover then rust remover. then por15 and paint. i had to put in longer studs to fit the bigger wheel. no additional bracing. just big washers on the hinge bolts if the bushing ever failed it wont fall off haha. i have a chainsaw and hilift mounted to it too. Just as a precation i added a strap from the roof to the rack but more of a just in case reason as i ran without for years.

Given how beat up this thing is, since I have to weld a few bits, I'm going to move the whole bracket out a bit. Like the idea of mounting the hi lift, might do that as well.

Do you still run that setup? Any way you can grab a quick side picture of the mounting points? The FSM does not really show the order that the weird oblong washer (or any other washers) that go into how it moves and turns.

On a side note... Mcmaster Carr sent me a wrong bearing, so they are shipping out the correct one, with a packing label for the wrong one, and said to return anything else I needed to in the same package. 2 bearings... one grease channel. not sure why, but the one was not machined with the right channel to lube it. I plan on drilling in a grease hole and mounting a grease nipple to the arm, living in the steel buckle of the rust belt has its downsides.

Back