• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Re-Flare or Re-Tube?

dsdtdemon

NAXJA Forum User
So when installing new brake hoses I kinked the hard line at the fitting and now the fitting does not seal. Naturally, it was the front passenger which I'm reading is a real PITA to replace. The dealership does not have the pre-bent line for my '91 4.0L, (or rather, it's $70 with a 5day lead time) but he mentioned a nearby shop that could fab up one for a decent price using the existing line as a template.
So my question is this: How difficult is it to remove and install a new pre-bent line (again, front passenger)?
Or, should I cut off the kink and reflare the existing line (the hoses are plenty long). I've never flared before, so I don't know if it's really feasible to do inside the wheel well.

Thanks!

Its not too bad. Get a flaring tool, and some extra line. Practice doing a few flares to get the technique down, and go for it

Make sure you get a "double flare" tool - the brake lines are, as I recall, folded back then flared.

It may also be referred to as a "bubble flare" (the end is "bubbled out" then folded back into itself to form the sealing surface.)

Brake line flares can be tetchy - if you've got a local fluid power shop, you'd be better off taking the line in there and saying, "I need a line made just like this for my brakes." (They need to know that it's a brake line, so they can flare it properly for you.)

Suggest you get a set of small flare nut wrenches for this service - flare nuts on these lines are notoriously soft, and painfully easy to round off. Cheaper (in terms of your sanity) to use the right tool the first time. I don't recall what size they are - probably a 3/8" or 7/16" hex - but you may as well get the whole set and be done with it.

I'll post a follow up for future searchers...
I went ahead and cut off and re-flared the existing brake line. I went to Napa and picked up a short segment of pre-flared brake lined with fittings and a double flare tool. I did a few trial runs on the new line to get comfortable with the tool, and then just cut the kinked portion off, slid the new fitting on, and re-flared right in the wheel well.
After bleeding, it appears this worked and I am leak free.

Also, I do believe that a bubble flare is different from a double flare...

I know there's nothing groundbreaking here, but hopefully this helps someone else that has the same issue...

Also, I do believe that a bubble flare is different from a double flare...

it is.

"bubble" flare is an ISO flare, and uses the fittings with the snout. They do not interchange.

You'll find them mostly on newer vehicles and european things. Older American cars/trucks use a regular old SAE double flare.

picture is worht a thousand of my words.
double+vs+bubble+flare1201239518.jpg

you'll find out that most parts store people are clueless about the fitting differences if you buy bulk fittings, so pay attention to the ones they give you.

it is.

"bubble" flare is an ISO flare, and uses the fittings with the snout. They do not interchange.

Nice picks. I learn something every day reading NAXJA forum ie: the name of that (bubble) type of flare. However, our XJ's or at least the '96 year model have bubble flare in the master cylinder. I have two lines hers that go to the combination valve and they both have that bubble flare on one end.

it's not surprising that it's gone to bubble flares on the later models. I know that my 87 has regular double flares.

All the later model stuff uses bubble flares.

it is.

You'll find them mostly on newer vehicles and european things. Older American cars/trucks use a regular old SAE double flare.

you'll find out that most parts store people are clueless about the fitting differences if you buy bulk fittings, so pay attention to the ones they give you.

Thanks for that - I haven't had to do anything but single hydraulic flares in at least fifteen years...

Thanks for that - I haven't had to do anything but single hydraulic flares in at least fifteen years...

I got real educated once when I got bulk fittings to repair a line. I cut it and reflared it in the only section possible while it wa in the chassis. THen promptly found out that I had the wrong fittings.

I ended up replacing the whole damned thing because I had cut the one place I had a chance to repair the line.

Back