• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

common for rear axle alignment to be off 1/4"?

Boost_Retard

NAXJA Forum User
i first noticed this when i was loaded full of gear pulling a car trailor with my XJ when it was bone stock, rear right tire would rub the upper fender while the rear left had some room to spare.

i have since changed everything other than the axle housing itself, and the factory suspension mounting points.

i have tried to adjust it out several times, once again today while installing some new degree shims and bump stops..
no matter what i do, i end up with a 1/4" difference, proud on the passenger side, my front axle is aligned to the rear so it drives great, but now fenderless with some offset, it looks off enough just to get irritating.

the spring pads are centered on the leafs, gone though a few sets of center pins, pushed pulled and pryed. always torques up a 1/4" out in relation to the centerline of the body.

my dear ole gramma bought this jeep new and drove it as a grandmother would. no previous abuse, and was like this when i bought it from her

yeah i know im fighting over an 1/8", i suppose i will leave it be untill axle swap season. i will look into it more and see if its spring perch related or if its leaf mounting points, either way, its just enough to get my quicker disco a little 2 close to the factory track bar mount that it can actually rub on the rare occasion. i have been trying to move the rear axle over so i can move the front over to gain clearance and still have everything drive straight.

i cant tell if you talking about the front, or the rear... im guessing rear?

anyways, i think alignment shops call what your describing as thrust angle. it wont affect tire wear, but may give you the issues you described when loaded down. mine has this as well. a quick fix is to fill in the perch with weld and drill a new hole.

Last edited:
yes i am talking about the rear, having the rear out throws my front end out of center in order to have my axles aligned to one another. i can move my front end left and right no problem.

i am heading back out to the shop tonight to tear it all apart again, i thought i could leave it alone, but its drivin me nuts.

i suppose if i have to weld and drill i will have to do both pads..
i will see how much wiggle room my 5/16 HHCS center pins have in the factory spring pad,

i figure between taking some off the sides of my axle shims, ditching the washer under my stover center pin nut (washer pretty much centers the JKS bump stop plate and leaves no wiggle room) and giving the spring pads a work over, i can get it centered under the truck.

Back