• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Removing one of the 4 links

jwebb85

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 99 with a 4.5" on Rough Country short arms. My question is, I bought some geared axles for my Jeep. When putting the front in I never realized there was no UCA passenger side bracket on the axle due to the truss. The drivers side CA axle mount does have a solid joint in it. All I have to do is ream a bit out of the axle end CA. I was planning on leaving Friday for hunting and would really like to have the Jeep. I won't be wheeling, only dirt roads and highway.

That's the thing about hunting season. I swear the Hunters are in Rut also ;)

It will work... but park the Jeep and do it right. Because if the one remaining arm fails, you will have huge liability issues.
The issue is that the suspension was not designed as a 3 link, but a 4 link.

If this was a Trail Only vehicle and you would be the only one hurt if something failed, I would give a completely different answer.

The last part of the Liability issue, is that you posted up on a public Forum saying you want to drive your rig on the HWY, even though it's not right.

Last edited:
I love the paranoia of people on the Internet. I've never seen nor heard of computers being seized or a tech investigation after a traffic accident. He's not posting about commuting a crime, he's posting about a jeep mod. The iron rock kit and all 3 links are set up just as he wants to do (although with better geometry and design). I wouldn't do it, but I doubt it would be a problem.

I'm not paranoid, just reminding him that It's not OK to drive vehicle with a suspension problem to go on a pleasure trip.
As you stated, you wouldn't do it. Well, neither would I. Jed will make up his own mind what he want's to do.

As you stated the Iron Rock 3 link you mention is designed to be a 3 link.

The lift kit he has was not designed to be a 3 link.
But it appears the axle he bought has a beefed up drivers side UCA for use as a 3 link.

He has to modify "ream out" one of his CA ends to connect to the existing UCA mount on the axle to make it work.

The end run is the same. Neither one of us recommend doing it.

Last edited:
Back