• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear bumper jerrycan question

JoCat

NAXJA Member # 1584
NAXJA Member
Hi all - I'm looking for some advice on a rear carrier bumper for my 2001 XJ.

I'm getting older, and I really need a rear bumper with a tire carrier and preferably space for water, gas, and a high lift. After a lot of searching I've narrowed my choices down to Rigid, AJ's, and JCR. Each has something I think is superior, but I'm leaning towards Rigidco. My concern there is the loss of visibilty through the rear window when both a tire (33") and a jerry can is mounted. Can one of you guys actually running that combination of options tell me what you think of it?

I've spoken to Terry at Rigid, and he no longer offers the split swing out design that puts the jerrycan down lower, but he is willing to build a single arm version that puts the can lower. I wonder if the lower mount might actually be more of a safety hazard than the loss of visibility though. I am building for expedition use more than any hard core rock crawling by the way. I haven't asked yet, but I'm thinking if the can was turned 90 degrees there'd be room for two of them and the jack could be mounted vertically - or maybe at an angle.

The JCR design has great visibility, but I have concerns about rotopax in the desert heat (I'm in southern California) and two gallons of water and gas each isn't much. AJ's design dosn't seem as quite as reinforced as Rigid and the new ownership hasn't been around long enough to establish a track record yet.

If anyone has any thoughts I'd be grateful to hear them. Thanks in advance.

this is what I ran, its all custom, but the gas can mounted where it was was never a hinderance with visibility, yet its just enough so I knew it was still there.

Tire blocked quite a bit, but it wasn't bad enough that I wished I didn't have it back there. I mounted it as high up and to the drivers side as I could for ground clearance, but not taller than the roofline, or sticking out past the body. With a smaller tire or if you are doing more expedition type stuff and less rockcrawling, you could get away with it being a bit lower.

36212_508233326444_6349578_n.jpg

I am a huge supporter of terry. His stuff is really well built and is service is top notch. However the only dual swing bumper I know of is protofab4x4.

As far as how much fuel and water you can carry I'm sure one could modify the tray to hold two or three 5gallon containers instead of just one. However that's going to start getting really heavy. Your going to have to address a suspension upgrade to cope with the weight.

Last edited:
Thank you ktm racer 419. It's good to know having the bottom of the jerrycan can be close to the top of the bumper and it's OK.

Also thanks favaguitars. I just liked the placement of the jerrycan on the split design; I don't actually need or want a dual swing design. Your opinion of Terry seems to be shared by, well, everyone. I only just spoke with him once and I liked him.

As far as fuel canisters go, the metal "nato" gas cans are the way to go, they are quite forgiving, rugged, and the gas tends not to go bad while stored in them, as they actually seal and keep water and air out, and keep butane in.

For water, I recommend the Scepter MWC (military water can), they are substantially thicker than most of the other cans on the market, and are damn tough. I have used mine all through the deserts... I usually keep my water up on top, over the drivers seats because I'm already carrying tons of weight. One time one of the cans didn't get tied down, and ended up flying off on the trail doing about 40... didn't burst, didn't break, didn't even leak. Was a PITA to find though.

Thank you all.

Are the NATO cans legal in California anymore? I thought EPA CARB requirements outlawed new ones.

Thanks for the recommendations though. I'll see if NATO cans are available, and I'll definitely look at the Scepter MWC.

Any thoughts on mounting the cans rotated 90 degrees out from the tailgate rather than flat against it? Stick out too far?

Check out DirtBound Offroad's new bumper. It looks like it could have a left and right carrier if so desired. I asked the question on his product announcement post, we'll see what comes of it.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?p=245774036#post245774036

I think he plans on selling the carrier seperately, so that people that have his bumper sans carrier can add it.

There are some good ideas shared here.

My problem was that every swing arm tire carrier I looked at had at best two attachment points both on the lower end. Higher speed travel on rough roads would cause the upper part of the carrier to shake and rattle. This over time would fatigue the metal and eventually cause a failure. I ended up making one with three attachment points that ended up being rock solid. The fuel cans fit on both sides and are detachable.

IMG_1987.jpg

IMG_1988.jpg

Thanks,
Fred
Explorer 1

My problem was that every swing arm tire carrier I looked at had at best two attachment points both on the lower end. Higher speed travel on rough roads would cause the upper part of the carrier to shake and rattle. This over time would fatigue the metal and eventually cause a failure. I ended up making one with three attachment points that ended up being rock solid. The fuel cans fit on both sides and are detachable.

definately an issue i have seen with most setups.

7/8" heims on the hinged side and a latch at the other side of the bumper

34321_508273885164_6230625_n.jpg

never heard a peep out of it, never had an issue with it, even after landing HARD from several feet off the ground with a 37" tire on it.

Wow - thanks for all the replies!

mako my day - That does look like a good design, although the picture is rather small and it might be home built. I'm looking for something I can buy.

art70LA - I did look at DirtBound, but I didn't see that they had a dual swing out for jerrycans yet. In any case, I like Rigid's design that lets you rearrange the tire carrier to the left, right, and center. I've seen pictures with the tire in all those positions, and I can't decide which will give the best visibility. I like the ability to try out the different positions. Indecisive I know. Of course, I'd like a transparent rear tire too ... I also think I'd prefer a tried and true design where the bugs are already worked out.

Explorer 1 - The swing out supports on your bumper looks like the most structurally solid one I've seen. I really like it. Not the prettiest perhaps, but certainly stiff. I guess that's what you can do when you fabricate your own work. Personally I'd like a bit more steel sticking out on the bumper itself, but I understand your design has a better departure angle.

sjkimmel99 - I didn't, and still don't, see the jerrycan option on Proto Fab's web site. Is there any advantage to a dual swing arm setup compared to a single arm, other than the clearance provided to a trailer? It seems a single arm is simpler and, provided the carrier and cans are bolted on to a firm structure, can provide a more flexible arrangement.

ktm racer 419 - I see there are some really good fabricators out there. Unfortunately, that isn't me. I'm better off buying one from someone/someplace with a good reputation - of which there are a number.

Thanks again to all.

Thank you all.

Are the NATO cans legal in California anymore? I thought EPA CARB requirements outlawed new ones.

Cant buy good cans anymore, they have to have the stupid child safety latch.

I have a Wehrmacht can I would be willing to part with, shoot me a PM

Cant buy good cans anymore, they have to have the stupid child safety latch.

I have a Wehrmacht can I would be willing to part with, shoot me a PM

they are right on the shelf at the crown automotive outlet store.

http://www.crownautomotive.net/

the guy that works there, err... hangs out there is on this forum.

Heres the best pic i have of mine. All metal, twist off spout, little twist open vent. theres a long flexible nozzle under the cap that you pull out and thread into the can.

36212_508233042014_1686183_n.jpg

Guess I should have specified: Cant buy good gas cans in CA anymore

Is it illegal to bring one/ship one in CA?

Mine was attatched to my bumper and I drove right into CA, drove around for a week, and drove out.

Back