• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

transporting water, your ideas?

Bbasso

NAXJA Forum User
transporting water, your ideas?
So I had this idea pop into my head a few weeks back, I think it might be good. tell me what you think.

A roof top mounted 4 inch or larger pvc pipe sealed but with a fill plug and a drain plug. Most likely can't be used for drinking, but for shower water and basic water needs.
Could easily be filled with a garden hose or even by buckets and drained in many ways including a shower head. Since it's on the roof (in direct sun light) it should be able to stay warm, maybe...

How's my idea sound?
I think I might try this on my Jeep XJ. Would be nice to shower off after kayaking in the salt water...

Do you have an interesting way of transporting water? If so please share.

After looking in Lowes and homedepot, I'm a little baffled... How would I secure the 4ft long 4inch PVC to my standard gutter mount thule rack?
I could use some rope but I know that wont't be safe or last very long lol
I'll happily hear some suggestions :thumbup:

Also what's the diff between sch 40 and 80?
Is there any pvc that would be safe for holding drinking water. I don't think I'll need it, but good to know and or have...
thanks.

Schedules on pipe is the wall thickness, sch 80 is thicker.

I used to place a 5gal clear water container on the roof of my jeep (at camp), and in a couple hours, it was a thing of beauty... your post makes me downright envious! that water is gonna be nice and warm!

Dont forget to slope it to the nozzle, and put the nozzle low enough on the pipe centerline to minimize residual water (non useable).

Cool idea!

how quickly does damage occur and would painting it black help?
I have plans on painting it black for two reasons, get the water hotter/faster and to keep it low profile/ on the dl ;)

Not unless it's a UV resistant paint. UV damage will depend on how much the pipe is in sunlight.

I think you can get UV resistant PVC, though. It'll probably cost a little extra but will be worth it in the long term.

Also, keep in mind the amount of water you'll get for the size pipe you want, and how much that'll weigh.

For a pipe that is 4' long and 6" in diameter = ~5.8 gallons @ 48 pounds
For a pipe that is 4' long and 12" in diameter = ~23.5 gallons @ 196 pounds

For a pipe that is 6' long and 6" in diameter = ~8.8 gallons @ 73 pounds
For a pipe that is 6' long and 12" in diameter = ~35 gallons @ 292 pounds

Last edited:
Interesting concept. No reason not to drink water carried in PVC -- that's what it's for except for the DWV thinner wall pipe for drain/waste/vent. The mains in our subdivision are PVC as is the line from the meter to our house where copper takes over. If you are suspicious, ask the guys at your hardware store for recommendations.

You will want to clean it with some soap and water to get the store dust out and perhaps a bit of bleach to disinfect.

You probably already know this but you will want a can of purple primer and the heavier cement (check the info on the can) for the 4" or larger pipe. You can put together some fittings to stabilize on your rack for fore and aft movement and perhaps a couple of ratchet clamps to finish it up.

Neat idea -- let us know how it turns out.

Interesting concept. No reason not to drink water carried in PVC -- that's what it's for except for the DWV thinner wall pipe for drain/waste/vent. The mains in our subdivision are PVC as is the line from the meter to our house where copper takes over.

Those pipes aren't in direct sunlight holding water, though. I would think that having water just sit in a PVC pipe in direct sunlight would leach chemicals into the water and/or make it taste funny.

UV will damage PVC but it takes a long time. Certainly UV will not significantly damage the pipe used in the installation you are planning. I have done all the plumbing around our house inside and out for the past 25 years and exposed PVC has never failed. I have painted some of the exposed 3 and 4" DWV pipe black for sake of appearance and the paint has held up well for many years, however, it is not exposed to a great deal of sun.

In any event, paint is paint in the sense that exterior paint is by nature UV resistant or our houses and vehicles would have to repainted every year or so.

UV will damage PVC but it takes a long time. Certainly UV will not significantly damage the pipe used in the installation you are planning.

We used PVC piping outside at my last job and they lasted only a few years before becoming brittle.

Those pipes aren't in direct sunlight holding water, though. I would think that having water just sit in a PVC pipe in direct sunlight would leach chemicals into the water and/or make it taste funny.
ABS is more UV resistant than PVC however, a 4" PVC pipe about 4' long would only hold a little over 2 1/2 gallons.

Another thing to think about, water is pretty heavy and would be better carried down low....you don't want a lot of weight up there if you get into a sidehill situation, can get downright scary!

I carry a 5 gal military water can that's strapped on one side of my trailer (5 gal nato fuel can on the other side).

Check out RV supply houses or even Northern Tool, they have nice water tanks designed for trailers that might work out nice.....hook up a 12v Shurflo pump and have running water!...hmm I like that idea :)

Hans

I guess the question is how long will the pipe sit out in the sun full of water. PVC is made to carry drinking water and I assume it would take a long time for any significant leaching to take place, but I don't know that. I've camped and boated a goodly portion of my life and I've surely had some crappy tasting water from time to time after it has sat around in various types of tanks and carriers.

I was just trying to answer the basic question about whether it would be safe to drink water hauled in PVC pipe. I would drink it without a second thought if I ran out of beer, soda and whatever else I may have hauled in my ice chest.

We are into an anecdotal discussion about how long PVC pipe will last in direct sunlight without any backup data. If the OP does this project, I assume the pipe will be stored or otherwise protected from the sun the vast majority of the time and painting will further protect it.

The weight factor for a relative small capacity container as outlined by Oatmeal is probably a more pertinent concern.

PVC piping was a common system down here for ages ... not so much anymore for most of the reasons already mentioned.

Depending on the rack style ... they're easily held down with,
... large hose clamps and imagination ... think truck air filters ;)
... a length of thin, bent to a U-shape, flat 1" steel, with a length of threaded rod welded on the ends.

Thules opposition down here even have 6" PVC pipe holders for their crossbars.

http://www.rhinorack.com.au/AccSubCategory_Conduits--Clamps---Spares_44.aspx

Most however ... have gone back to jerrycans or overpriced, shaped containers like these ....

http://www.kulkyne.com/au/Flat-Mount-Water-Tank-50L.html

http://www.kulkyne.com/au/Footwell-Water-Tank-42L.html

http://www.kulkyne.com/au/4WD-Water-Tank-50L-Verticle-Taper.html

Personally I prefer a plastic jerrycan ... doubles up as a seat when in camp and I can do a whole lounge setting for the price of one of those fancy tanks .. :laugh:

the problem I'll have with this
sb_1_g_6h0_1_ph.jpg

I want to mount the pipe on both cross bars so it's long wise and has the least wind resistance. But VERY close to what I'm aiming for- thanks!

Back