• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can you help me work on my car this Saturday(10/13)?

Muddy Beast

NAXJA Forum User
So long story short, I broke some more bones and had surgery last week on my shoulder. I also bought a Subaru Impreza a few weeks ago, and I want to try and get some service work done on my new (to me) car before the weather gets too harsh. School is only getting more intense, and the clock is ticking for me to get the work done so I can have a reliable commuter.

That's where I need someones (or two peoples) help. I don't believe I'll be able to do all the work I have planned with one arm, in the day I've allocated for it, so I'd like to try and recruit one or two people to help. So long as they're mechanically inclined, I think between us (and possibly my dad) we should be able to complete the important stuff in a reasonable amount of time.

Date help is needed: This coming Saturday,10/13/12 (if I can find someone willing to help) starting time likely around 10-11am depending on volunteers schedule.

What you get out of it: My thanks and appreciation, and either pizza and beer/beverage of your choosing or maybe I'll let you pick out a part or two from whats left of my old Jeep.

It's a '98 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport, with 143k and in decent shape. I intend to have the directions/torque specs ready to go for the service day.

What I want to do:
-Timing belt/pulleys
-Crankshaft/Camshaft seals
-Oil pump seal
-Water pump
-Thermostat + seal
-Upper/Lower radiator hoses
-Spark plugs
-Oil/filter change
-Brake pads + turn rotors + bleed

What I'd like to do if time allows:
-PCV valve
-Fuel filter
-Diff. fluid
-Trans. fluid

Either post up here or shoot me a PM with a phone number if you can help. I'll be around the house working on the car all day, so if you can only drop by for x amount of time that's better then nothing. Thanks in advance to anyone who can give up some weekend time on such short notice (I hope someone can)!

Scott, my schedule is super busy, if I can get away for a couple hours I can come help.

I can't make it up there but im available for over the phone advice I have done all of the above plenty of times on subarus and can walk you through anything that may be a struggle. is it a 2.5 or 2.2? also make sure to replace the timing belt tensioner. Ben 3602816048

Thanks for the offer regardless! I've done my share of reading on the subject, but having the option for any random issues is always handy. It's a 2.2, the EJ22 or whatever they call it.

From what I've read it sounds like I might be able to get away with reusing the old one. I figured I'd inspect it and make the decision then. What's your experience with them, life wise? I'm really not looking to drop $200 if I don't have to. And it's to late to order online anyways.

And thanks for the offer Tim! I know how it is, so don't try too hard. I don't want to inconvenience anyone, just hoping someone has the free time.

Last edited:
personally i re used mine, but it is a good idea to replace. mine currently has 254k and some change on it. Glad to hear its a 2.2 thats the same motor that I have in my 95 legacy, gutless but goes forever. I'll be available all day and I also have an alldata log in I can pm you

It's looking like I'm going to hold off the job for a later day. The weather isn't going to help. Guess I'll be holding off till the next dry weekend.

Forgive me for my ignorance, BPB, but what's an alldata log?

All data is an automotive computer program that all the shops use

Well, I gathered that from Google. But what does it provide? Like schematics and instructions on how to do various things?

Oh, and how long of a job do you think the belt is?

It is like a factory service manual on the computer. I would say 4 hours you will want to remove the radiator. Also use a strap wrench on the pully

If weather is a big factor, you can bring the car down here and use my garage. Sundays would be best for me. I'm sure I could recruit a few others for help too.

It is like a factory service manual on the computer. I would say 4 hours you will want to remove the radiator. Also use a strap wrench on the pully

Roger. Cool, that sounds about like what I was thinking. I would definitely like to see a copy if you have it on PDF. I have the Subaru manual that's floating around, but it sucks, frankly.

If weather is a big factor, you can bring the car down here and use my garage. Sundays would be best for me. I'm sure I could recruit a few others for help too.

It is, but not big enough for the drive. I appreciate the offer, but I couldn't afford the gas to get down and back.

Back