• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ Procrack swaybar

Sideshow

NAXJA Forum User
I couldn't justify putting the cash into the Currie Antirock for my XJ so I'm attempting to make an off-road sway bar using mostly junkyard parts.

Junkyard parts include:
-Stock IFS torsion bar from an 87-91 4x4 Isuzu Trooper
-Both [2], 87-91 4x4 Isuzu Trooper torsion bar to A-arm flanges

I researched which torsion bars have the correct diameter and length (http://www.swayaway.com/torsionbars.php).

The Currie Antirock diameter is .750 which is the same diameter as offered on the TJ with an identical 36" overall bar-length. One would think the sway bar on the Cherokee would be a little thicker due to the rear leaf spring suspension, no doubt more resistant to articulation. The Rock Equipment sway bar appears to be a little thicker than brand A but I wasn't able to get an exact measurement. Out of thin air, I decided on a thicker 1" diameter bar to combat the resistance to articulation by my stiff rear-leaves. I could mess with the rear leaves but honestly the shackle-angle is great, I like the reduced axle-wrap and improved weight capacity.

I narrowed my requirements down to two bars, one being from a 2WD Toyota and the Isuzu mentioned above. The Toyota torsion bar had the correct length and diameter but the splined ends are different and would have been problematic to fabricate mounts to adapt to the sway-bar arms.

If you have ADD you can start reading HERE:

Below are the Isuzu Sway-bar and one of the A-arm flanges covered in a nice Pick-A-Part patina.

file-4.jpg

DSC01763-1.jpg

DSC01786.jpg

file-3.jpg

Below are the bar and links all welded up.
file-7.jpg

file-10.jpg

Since the Isuzu torsion bar is a little thicker than the retail sway bars, I need the capability to make the arms longer and adjust some spring rate out of the sway bar. Below you can see I moved the sway-bar mount as far forward as possible, making room for longer arms.

Before
file-1.jpg

After
file-15.jpg

wow i was just thinking about this the other day. i want to make one for the rear, i was thinking of just machining the torsion bar down in the lathe to make it closer to Currie unit.

That's awesome Rich! I'm very interested in how it will perform.

wow i was just thinking about this the other day. i want to make one for the rear, i was thinking of just machining the torsion bar down in the lathe to make it closer to Currie unit.

Vanimal are you really going to put a rear bar back on? I'm curious what you are hauling etc. that has things squishy enough to want a rear bar again. Guessing you would disconnect also on the trail.

i dont haul anything, and i would not disconnect. I don't have leafs anymore, a light swaybar would be welcomed both on and off road.

How will the flex be if you don't unhook off road? Just assume you up it in a spot that you flex your xj

i'd like to throw a front sway on, definitely looking forward to see how this works. i'd love to not spend 400 on an antirock :thumbup:

For me, a $400 swaybar wasnt justifiable because I can get out and un-hook it :). It would be another story if I had a trail-only buggy.

What's the idea behind the antirock? Does it replaces the sway bar?

Yeah except you leave it hooked up when you hit the trail. It resists articulation in the front obviously but the benefits include on-road stability similar to the stock swaybar, and a more balanced suspension (front:vs:rear) off-road.

Currently, without a front swaybar, I approach and obstacle and the front just articulates and climbs right over, then the rear axle climbs the obstacle and it puts me on my ear.

I've been told by other XJ-ers running the antirock, it's harder to initially get on the obstacle but way more balanced and controllable after that.

Yeah except you leave it hooked up when you hit the trail. It resists articulation in the front obviously but the benefits include on-road stability similar to the stock swaybar, and a more balanced suspension (front:vs:rear) off-road.

Currently, without a front swaybar, I approach and obstacle and the front just articulates and climbs right over, then the rear axle climbs the obstacle and it puts me on my ear.

I've been told by other XJ-ers running the antirock, it's harder to initially get on the obstacle but way more balanced and controllable after that.

I'm curious to find out if this would affect the "tippyness" (is that a word) of my XJ? I find if I get any sort of off-camber my front let's my heep lean way over. Looking forward to your reports.

i have the opposite problem, my rear does most of the flex work. actually doesnt bother me much on the trail as it's much easier to keep track of where i put the front end, but i'd still like it a little more balanced and stable in the rear for taking corners at speed.

I agree with vanimal I like to throw into corners as well and the rear seems alittle skwerly. Do it vanimal and post up reports.

I'm curious to find out if this would affect the "tippyness" (is that a word) of my XJ? I find if I get any sort of off-camber my front let's my heep lean way over. Looking forward to your reports.

I know exactly what you mean regarding "tippyness", this is exactly what it's supposed to help. It wont lower the vehicle CG directly or anything but it should keep the rig more balanced and level with the trail. No-doubt ill have to learn the off-camber limits all over again.

Side show did u get this installed yet? Pics? Performance?

Not yet, hopefully this weekend.

I like to go fast on the sections of trail that permit that sort of thing, this is mostly why I want a swaybar I can leave hooked up. So I can go faster :yelclap:.

Back