• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lift Modified or Mild Lift or Stocker

NOTNSUV

You Guys ROCK!
I'm new to the site and soon to be new to XJ. Been doing lots of research, including here and other forums. Looked at various lift kits, stock Cherokees, and those in various stages of completion.

One question I haven't seen answered directly is:

What happens to street manners and highway driveablity with lift kits?

1. I plan to drive up to 500 highway miles at a stretch, possibly pulling a small boat or a couple quads.

2. I want a very capable hunting rig that can handle snow and accept tire chains if necessary. I'm not into crawling but can do some heavy trail riding, including some rocky stuff - nothing like I've seen some of you hard core folks do though!

3. Two units in particular I'm looking at:
a. 4.5" Rough Country short arm. CV driveline, SYE and all the right mods for that setup. 31" x 10.50 w/stock gears. I hear you on the rough ride and some opinions on the RC. This one is done right for what it is.
b. 5.5" Rubicon Express (I think it's a short arm) w/4.56 w/33 x 10.50s, OX electric locker, etc. Also appears to be done 'right'.

Are either of these suitable for speeds of 70mph or so over a long haul?
Would that drive be uncomfortable or unsafe?

I'm also looking at some stock XJs but absolutely love the look of the lifted units with all the trick goodies, of course.

So, should I redirect my focus toward more mild builds?
I know it's subjective, but am interested in experienced opinions.

Thanks.. I'll keep reading.

Gary

What is your budget? A lot of times stock XJ's can be had very cheap, and you can put whatever lift you want on them. IMO, Anything over 4" lift should have long arms (or CAD brackets) to help road manners driveability.
When it comes to lifts, piecing together can be a bit cheaper than a kit. I hear really good things about the OME/DPGoffroad hybrid kits as far as quality and comfort. And if you do it yourself, whether you buy a kit or BYO, you will know it was "done right".

I'm new to the site and soon to be new to XJ. Been doing lots of research, including here and other forums. Looked at various lift kits, stock Cherokees, and those in various stages of completion.

One question I haven't seen answered directly is:

What happens to street manners and highway driveablity with lift kits?

1. I plan to drive up to 500 highway miles at a stretch, possibly pulling a small boat or a couple quads.

2. I want a very capable hunting rig that can handle snow and accept tire chains if necessary. I'm not into crawling but can do some heavy trail riding, including some rocky stuff - nothing like I've seen some of you hard core folks do though!

3. Two units in particular I'm looking at:
a. 4.5" Rough Country short arm. CV driveline, SYE and all the right mods for that setup. 31" x 10.50 w/stock gears. I hear you on the rough ride and some opinions on the RC. This one is done right for what it is.
b. 5.5" Rubicon Express (I think it's a short arm) w/4.56 w/33 x 10.50s, OX electric locker, etc. Also appears to be done 'right'.

Are either of these suitable for speeds of 70mph or so over a long haul?
Would that drive be uncomfortable or unsafe?

I'm also looking at some stock XJs but absolutely love the look of the lifted units with all the trick goodies, of course.

So, should I redirect my focus toward more mild builds?
I know it's subjective, but am interested in experienced opinions.

Thanks.. I'll keep reading.

Gary

Option B. has my vote. But as with any vehicle especially one that has been lifted you MUST have it inspected. It would be best to have it inspected at a shop that has experience with modified vehicles. If not then have an inspection done a at regular shop and then have your local off-road shop check over the suspension.

RE has a very good reputation and I am one of that group who has had good luck with their parts. RE 5.5" kit is a short arm kit with drop brackets (though they do offer the kit with a long arm upgrade) which will provide the best ride quality and flex since it maintains good geometry of the control arms with the drop brackets. The RC kit, unless otherwise added, does NOT come with drop brackets, though the RC does make some, and thus leaves them in the stock locations leaving the arms at a steep angle rather than a near horizontally level angle like stock. This leads to a harsher ride quality. Now this is not dangerous at all and many guys run lifts with the steep control arm angles for years without any negatives consequences other than harsh ride which is merely preference. Also the option B. as you mentioned has the new gear ratio of 4.56. This is very handy to have already done as it is very pricey to have this kind of upgrade performed. The extra torque from those gears will give you close to stock drivability and mileage compared to even the 31s and stock 3.55 gears. Since you will be towing the 4.56 gears will be easier on the Jeep's motor and transmission. The AW4 automatic in these Jeeps are easy to overheat when towing when using oversized tires and stock gears, ask me how I know.

So, if it was me in your shoes, I would consider option B. more over option A. simply for the gear upgrade and the lift choice as well as the added bonus of larger tire size and the locker. But as I said earlier have it checked out to make sure there aren't any hidden gremlins in it before you commit to it.

Back