• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Thumping in rear?

Ives2210

NAXJA Forum User
1997 XJ, AW4, C8.25. Originaly I heard the thumping when I did a hard left turn into a parking spot. Now I hear it, very loud, all the time in drive and reverse, especially when accelerating. I have no carpet and drain holes everywhere, so I have pinpointed it to near the right rear wheel.
The u-joints and driveshaft were installed when the SYE was added two years ago. I put new Yukon shafts in about two months ago. A friend said it may be the spiders gears. The top/bottom did fall out (when I did the shafts) and I put them back in and spun the wheels in N and both wheels turned. I checked them yesterday and they look fine (not worn or chipped), but my experiance with diffs is very limited. Another friend said maybe it's the wheel bearings or the tube seal is worn. Maybe I knock'em when I put the new shafts in. I do remember being slightly more forceful with the right shaft when I put it in.

What do you guys think?

Last edited:
Back