• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

random thought: do you ever lock your torque converter when wheeling? If so, why?

blondejoncherokee

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
my tranny was acting weird a while back. the TC would erratically would lockup on the freeway, and then unlock. i tested a ton go wiring with multimeter, every pin on the TCU, came down to maybe the TCU was doing weird stuff with the TC? New TPS ground jumper wire helped a tad. a new TPS helped a ton, but was still doing it. but taking the TC out of the loop and wiring to its own switch fixed it completely. now i just lock the TC when I'm on the freeway, but thats about it?

any of you guys ever lock the TC when wheeling ? Maybe for downhill compression braking?
i would imagine you wouldn't want to lock it with your foot on the gas in 4lo .

just picking the brains of the guys with TC lockup switches.

while i was at it i wired a 3way switch for 1st only, 2nd only, etc.

I don't think it would be a good idea, maybe only for downhill braking.

But I've noticed mine won't stay locked under a certain rpm on decel anyway...
EX: Driving 55 with the switch on, let off the throttle. Itll help engine braking up to ~45, and then it just starts to coast like the converter is unlocked.

Last edited:
It would really cut down on trans temps if you were on something more level, but probably not otherwise.

my tranny was acting weird a while back. the TC would erratically would lockup on the freeway, and then unlock. i tested a ton go wiring with multimeter, every pin on the TCU, came down to maybe the TCU was doing weird stuff with the TC? New TPS ground jumper wire helped a tad. a new TPS helped a ton, but was still doing it. but taking the TC out of the loop and wiring to its own switch fixed it completely. now i just lock the TC when I'm on the freeway, but thats about it?

any of you guys ever lock the TC when wheeling ? Maybe for downhill compression braking?
i would imagine you wouldn't want to lock it with your foot on the gas in 4lo .

just picking the brains of the guys with TC lockup switches.

while i was at it i wired a 3way switch for 1st only, 2nd only, etc.

Sounds like the brake pedal was not coming up all the way or the switch was going bad.

I use my TC lockup on the freeway, and mostly downhill on trail. I can imagine it would work even better with a way to keep it in a specific gear. I think that mine does not work by itself because of the brake switch. But I don't care, since if have switch for manual lockup.

I ve locked mine a few times in 2nd low but just shifting to 1st works better for compresion braking. I do use it on mountain hwy's for braking and it works really well, but i also have a full manual shift controler which helps too :).

Back