• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ARB bulkhead fitting location

Oatmeal

NAXJA Forum User
Hi guys,

A while back I picked up an older RD30 air locker for super cheap.

Since then, I've completely rebuilt it and am getting ready to re-gear and install it into my HP D30.

I'm not using the ARB bulkhead fitting but, am instead using one that is threaded 1/8" NPT (weird ass BSPT)...anyway, what is the best location to drill and mount the bulkhead, where did you guys mount yours?

I mean I could figure it out but, just would like to hear what worked best for you guys....pics would be great!

Thanks,

Hans

Hole drilled on drivers side of diff up front a little back from the cover, you drill through at an angle, then tap it. The issue is length and clearance for the copper tube.

Hi guys,

A while back I picked up an older RD30 air locker for super cheap.

Since then, I've completely rebuilt it and am getting ready to re-gear and install it into my HP D30.

I'm not using the ARB bulkhead fitting but, am instead using one that is threaded 1/8" NPT (weird ass BSPT)...anyway, what is the best location to drill and mount the bulkhead, where did you guys mount yours?

I mean I could figure it out but, just would like to hear what worked best for you guys....pics would be great!

Thanks,

Hans

Here you go, Hans. http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=913774&page=6

I just drilled out and tapped the vent hole, then drilled another vent hole somewhere else on the diff housing.

Note: Don't plug up your diff vent. I did and after a day of wheel, I was driving back to the hotel and the pinion seal blew out, spewing gear oil all over the underside of my jeep and the road.

Hole drilled on drivers side of diff up front a little back from the cover, you drill through at an angle, then tap it. The issue is length and clearance for the copper tube.
Thanks,

Was just trying to figure out the best location....it's going to be tight to swing a wrench in there to tighten up the compression fitting.....not using an ARB bulkhead fitting.

I just drilled out and tapped the vent hole, then drilled another vent hole somewhere else on the diff housing.

Note: Don't plug up your diff vent. I did and after a day of wheel, I was driving back to the hotel and the pinion seal blew out, spewing gear oil all over the underside of my jeep and the road.

Thanks,

Just read through your build thread.....really nice fab work!
However, I have the older model RD30 and my seal housing is on the other side of the ring gear.....that is really slick though!

Hans

One last question,
Do you see any problem with notching the bearing cap instead of drilling a hole for the hard line?.....it would sure make removal a lot easier should I ever need to change a seal or what not.
Do you a see a problem in strength reduction?

I'll be using a housing spreader to set proper carrier bearing preload and a heavy diff cover to keep housing flex to a minimum.....read that was the main reason that the cylinder cap bolts loosen/break and caused ARB to redesign (RD100).

Spoke to the ARB tech and he said that most installers just were using enough preload.....hard to do without a spreader.

Thanks,

Hans

Back