• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Newb needs advice

DBledzep

NAXJA Forum User
Hi. First off I'd like to apologize if I didn't post this in the correct area, new to the forum world and new to the jeep world lol.
I Just bought a 2000 Jeep Cherokee sport 4.0/5 speed. I'm wanting to build a decent all around rig, that can still be My daily. I'm considering getting a RC 4.5" lift and some 33's. Can anyone tell me about this lift? And describe the pros/cons of the long arm lift as opposed to the regular? Also wondering how driveablilty will be affected with having the standard tranny?
Any info and or pictures with this or similar setup would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Don't know much about the long arm kit, considering I don't have one, but it all depends what you'll be using it for. It's ability will be hindered somewhat considering you're gettin much bigger tires than stock. With 33's you'll probably want to regear. Even though bigger tires are easier to accommodate with the 5spd than with the aw4.

I recommend using the search feature. There have been quite a few threads and stickies already posted on this subject. It will net you more information then you will get here, in your thread. Search, research and then Google.

I would stay away from rough country. Ive had terrible luck with their products in the past, and their customer service has always been **** for me, even though others rave about it.

Stay away from Iron Rock Offroads long arms, it has been discussed many many times. Puny 10mm bolt with a "REVOLUTIONARY" caster adjuster, that is easily bent.

If you can afford long arms, i say do it, the on road ride is much better than short arms. I like Tnt and Clayton if i had to go with a bolt on kit.

I ran 33x12.5s with 3.73 gearing (vs stock 3.07) and it was decent down the highway, but offroad my crawl ratio felt way too fast. It still does with 4.88s, but not as bad.

What kind of trails do you plan on? I thought a big beefed out XJ would be what I wanted but wasn't what I needed. I've got a 3” lift on 30” tires which suits my needs. Eventually it'll have bumpers and sliders but I've come to the conclusion its best to think what you will actually wheel. A buddy of mine just bought a XJ with 5” lift and long arms a month ago and is already trying to sell it because he hates how it rides.

If you aren't doing any rock gardens, a 3-3.5” lift on 31s with ome or bilsteins along with other quality components would give you a very capable rig yet still comfy onroad manners.

I grew out of the big rig phase and want something more reliable and comfortable for my family.

What kind of trails do you plan on? I thought a big beefed out XJ would be what I wanted but wasn't what I needed. I've got a 3” lift on 30” tires which suits my needs. Eventually it'll have bumpers and sliders but I've come to the conclusion its best to think what you will actually wheel. A buddy of mine just bought a XJ with 5” lift and long arms a month ago and is already trying to sell it because he hates how it rides.

If you aren't doing any rock gardens, a 3-3.5” lift on 31s with ome or bilsteins along with other quality components would give you a very capable rig yet still comfy onroad manners.

I grew out of the big rig phase and want something more reliable and comfortable for my family.

I agree completely. I have a 2-3" lift with remote ressy bilsteins and 31's and my heep is surprisingly capable. Gets me through whoops pretty fast so I'm happy. And remember, it's not always about what you have done, but how you tune what you have.

If you want a all around rig get and good 3.5 inch lift and armor your jeep don't spend your money on a lift if your just gonna beat it up because you have no armor. Rc is a desant lift but if its a dd you should get rubicon express or ome.

If you want a all around rig get and good 3.5 inch lift and armor your jeep don't spend your money on a lift if your just gonna beat it up because you have no armor. Rc is a desant lift but if its a dd/weekend warriors you should get rubicon express or ome.

I recommend using the search feature. There have been quite a few threads and stickies already posted on this subject. It will net you more information then you will get here, in your thread. Search, research and then Google.

/\ this! There is a ton of pros and cons treads on this. For the money.. Its a great kit. Now if you don't want to have to work on it every weekend because this or that has failed.. Save your $$ and buy something else. It will save you $$ in the long run. There are a few of us that went this route already (including myself) and ended up spending more time and $$ than a good kit would have cost.

Also.. Run what lift height you want. I started at 4.5 and now at 5.5 on 33's and it's my DD weekend beater. Love it!

Wow thanks guys for all the input!
I don't think I'm gonna get into anything too extreme(ofcourse I say that right now lol)
But if I were to go with 33's would gearing be necessary?
I am on a bit of a budget, but that being said I'd like to spend the money I do have wisely. RE lifts are much more expensive, and idk anything about ome, recommendations??

Oh sorry and where can I find threads you were talking about? I'm still working on forum navigation lol
Thank for the help!

Click the search button at the top and type, lift,.lift kit etc. you may have to dig through some threads but there are a ton out there.

33s will require regearing unless you enjoy bad gas mileage and less power. Old man emu is more expensive but well known for quality and comfort. Take your time and research different brands and components and part your lift together with quality stuff (from research).

People say to buy the size lift you eventually want which is good advice, but you need to seriously ask yourself if 5” is what you ” need”. You can get a smaller lift and have as much fun and put the money towards other quality parts. Like I said before, my needs greatly changed when I thought about my wife and baby in the Jeep. I have no need for a big lift and tires as the required parts to make it ride right and maintain mpg and power start adding up. On top of that I would feel the need to get into hairy situations due to having a capable rig but I don't want to risk breaking down or not being able to get out.

Before jumping head first into stuff, wheel it stock and figure out from there your needs. Learn from other peoples mistakes of lift buyers remorse. No need spending extra money if its not needed.

For my needs I'll someday have a 3-3.5” ome/RE lift with bilstein shocks, 31” duratracs, sway bar disconnects, 4.10 geared d30 from an early XJ and a Ford 8.8,4.10 gearing with disc brakes out back. Our Jeep is used for camping, exploring, hauling a utility trailer and light to moderate trails. The more dependable it is the better. I had an XJ with a 6” lift on 36” swampers, 4.56 gearing, locked front and back. It was pretty sweet... But going 55mph and not being the most comfortable ride sucked.

Been digging a little and now I'm considering the IRO 4.5" long arm kit and some bilsteins.
I wanna run 33/12.5's and I really like the look of the flat flares. Anyone have this or similar setup? Pics of that would be awesome.
I'm hearing I'll need a sye and maybe a new drive shaft as well?

...Learn from other peoples mistakes of lift buyers remorse. No need spending extra money if its not needed...

Isn't that the truth! Well Put! :D

My suggestion is to get to know your Jeep first, if you just got it, you need to get all up in it's business and find out what may need urgent attention under there; what you can fix now to avoid future breakdowns etc.

I've spent the past 4 months combing this forum and found LOTS of great advice, meanwhile I did repairs to get What I Had in Top Shape first (without replacing suspension parts I would be swapping anyway, such as springs / bushings).

NOW I have finally got my lift kit ordered and tires on the way. I went with BDS 4.5" Longarm and Fox shocks with 33 Duratracs, Bushwhack flat cut out flares. I drive 99% mountain grades so I'm going 4.56 and posi, not locker in front because it fits MY uses (ice roads).

That advice another member gave to basicly "give it some time and spend the money One Time on what will work for you", will save you TONS of money.

Also, I share the concern of another member about the IRO 3 point Longarm kit - one side of the front axle on a single arm/bushing is worrysome!

Finally using the search function will yield great results. It will help to hit Search > Advanced Search > Choose Technical Forums and for terms any phrase with a space use quotes "Lift Kit" or "Long Arm Kit" or you are going to get every thread that has any of the single words - it can add to your locating time.

But most of all, Congratz, Welcome and Let the Mods Begin! :wave1:

Back