• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

lock right question

RNMedic

NAXJA Member #659
installed a lockright in my Dana 35, (yup I know its a 35 but I got the locker for a song) and install was easy except for pinion shaft. the hole in it is too small for the roll pin. 88 XJ aw4 are ther different pins for c-clip versus non? I will call them in the am Thanks, or does anyone know of a dealer closer to Dayton, Ohio

Don't know if it's the same deal or not,but when we put one in my Dana 30 I had the same problem. Turns out that I had the little cup shaped things inside the locker turned the wrong way. Hope this helps :D

nope spacers are correct, and I'm talking about the roll pin that inserts through the carrier into the pinion shaft. Thanks, PS how does that work in the front and which trans case do you have???

I had this problem too.....

Assuming you are talking about the cross shaft hjole being too small for the roll pin and not the case. Powertrax told me I had two options. 1. buy the new cross shaft that is better for like $20. Or 2. have a new hole drilled into the cross shaft to accept the pin. I just used the cross shaft that was in the spider gears.

that is kinda what I figured. any problems with the stock crossshaft? or anyone know how to drill the shaft out???

Well I had a friend.....

drill mine out. But I still used the stock one there too. I have had mine in two different D35's and the first time I got a roll pin that was close but a little loose and expanded it to be tight with a screwdriver. This second time I just used what came out of the carrier. I have not had a chance to test it yet but it looks like it will be fine. I want a front one next but to install it I will have to pull the carrier and ring gear. And right now I'm not ready for that.

RN-I love it in the front!! I welded the rear 8.25" about a year ago and it was impressive how much better it was offroad! Then when I put the Lock Right in the front,it was the same feeling all over again! Being locked front and rear gives you so much more control offroad that it's not even funny! Lots more finnesse when offroad,as opposed to the ol' "get a run at" approach like before! As far as it being in the front is concerned,mine's got the non-disco type axle and I don't even notice it being in there! They don't lock until power is applied to the driveshaft,so I can actually jack the front end up,hold one tire and still spin the other by itself. But if I turn the driveshaft and try to stop one wheel,it ain't happenin'! Locked up for sure! Do it! You'll love it!!!!!

Glenn,it took Andy and me all of about an hour to install mine,and we didn't even have the instructions for it! The hardest part of the install was removing the hub bearings,as mine were frozen in place. After about 15 minutes of the old slide hammer,we got them out! If it weren't for Andy,I'd have been a little hesitant to do it,too. But trust me,if you can put one in the rear,you can put one in the front! It's just as easy,just more stuff to take off,that's all. As far as removing the R&P is concerned,it's no big deal at all! Just pop it out by using a long screwdriver or something similar. Put the locker in,and use a rubber mallet or dead-blow hammer to pop it back in. :D We did,however,need to gring a small section off of one of the ring gear's teeth to allow us to remove the pinion shaft. We did it that way to avoid disurbing the ring's seating,and it pretty much guaranteed we would have no problems upon reassembly.

talked with tech at Richmond gear apparently there is a different part number for the non-c-clip although the website lists tham as the same. 2309 is non c-clip and 2310 for c-clip, they are sending a replacement and a refund on the other shaft when they get it back so not bad.. PS was very easy to install except for that. John

Go for the front

I have a lockright front and rear. Cheap and easy, and what you get for your money is amazing! I to had to grid a bit to get the cross shaft out, but did everything with the carrier in the axle.

Used this site to get my never up to try it by myself.
http://www.dreamwater.com/zuk/ezlocker.html

Don't know who's site this is so I hope they won't mind me passing it along.

that's .02

THat is an awsome rite up......but.....

THe ring gear on my 4.10's is a little bit bigger and there is noway I'm going to grind any of it! I'll wait for now to I decide what I'm going to do. But first I have to deal with the engine swap and the rear.

Back