• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 44 spindle bearing removal

BPB

NAXJA Forum User
So after a shake down run I had crazy noises coming from my front axle (hp44 gm 1 ton outers). I tracked it down to the axle shaft rubbing on the end of the axle tube. a little more investigating and I realized that my spindle bearings consisted of partial outer races, rust dust and 3 needle bearings combined between both sides. I am assuming that they are original.
any tips on getting the old races out.
I tried cutting them with a body saw but that is a no go. I just ordered some dremel cut off wheels and arbor. there is no way to get a punch on it from the back side because of the shape of the spindle.

i just get inbetween the bearing case and the spindle and "crack" it free then just beat it out/to pieces depending on how stuck in there it is.

Had a Dana 60 bearing seize up at hollister once, broke a 5 ton 3 jaw puller trying to get it off. Cut a notch in it with a sawsall, put a chisel in the notch and beat it until it split. Slid right off at that point.

Last time I had a D44 (76 HP D44) I used a freezer (overnight) and an oven and heated them up ... 3-350 for a while (30 mins-ish) and the use of a punch and hammer. Even ten it was a pain and the bearing was severely mangled ... but who cared anyway, it was getting replaced.

Last edited:
Back