• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dream trip: Rubicon

SanDiegoOverland

NAXJA Forum User
Not going to make it the upcoming trip, but I recently had a talk with a friend of my wife's husband and son about possibly going next summer (they've been every year for the last 7 years). I got all stoked, and just went through a few threads that chronicled the build up to last years trip. I gleaned a bunch of great info and from what I could gather, these seemed to be some important points:

-Have the rig in tip-top mechanical condition including belts, hoses, fluids, u-joints, grease points, cooling system, brakes, basic tune up, etc.

-Carry small common spares - brake hose, cap/rotor, Map sensor, handful of fuses, CPS, TPS sensors, spare fluids.

-Carry good compact but comprehensive tool kit with fluid catch container and ground cloth. (also a good bottle jack for repairs)

-Tow points front and rear

-Winch if possible with accompanying rigging gear

-Lockers in at least one axle, if not both.

-spare long side and short side front shafts, one spare rear shaft (if the same side to side), spare rear driveshaft.

-good 31"+ tires, 32's-33's will make your trip less "scrapey", but 31's will work ok.

-Pett toilet system (we use Wag-bags and a luggable-loo already, so this is an easy one to check off) with a dedicated spot for "full" poo-bag storage.

-engine, axle, control arm, tcase, door rear 1/4 and gas tank skids a very good thing to have to avoid body damage

2.5"+ lift recommended, but 3.5-4.5" will put the rocks that much further from your rig.

CB radio with good antenna, Ham radio for emergencies and longer range communication.

-Tire carrier to open up cargo area a bit

-Rooftop cargo storage box for camping gear [my addition - 3 kids :)]

-Make campground reservations well in advance to secure a spot near trailhead.

That about cover it for my rig, if I want a fairly low-drama trip up and back from San diego (no tow rig)?

Also, Did everyone do ok with their stock 20 gallon gas tank, with respect to fuel range?

JCR has a nice tire carrier with rotopax fuel storage, and I have a nice wedco nato can that I could probably integrate into any carrier design, but if I don't need it, I'd rather not carry the weight...(or spend the $$$$ to buy it...did I mention 3 kids?! haha)

Last edited:
Here's a pic of my rig (and my bride :)):

599739_3836835693418_460509265_n.jpg

Upgrades so far are:

-JKS quicker disco's
-Logan's metal winch bumper
-Warn M8000 winch
-2" lift
-30" tires on 16' ZJ Alum. snowflake rims (goal will likely be a thin 32-33" like a 245-85-16)
-Factory rear hitch

Planned:

-DPG belly skid
-gas tank skid of some kind
-Engine skid of some kind
-JCR ultimate sliders
-Rear 1/4 armor (maybe JCR)
-low-pro tire carrier - Detours maybe
-Lockers Fr & Rear (want selectables ($!), but probably going to be aussies or spartans)
-built 8.25 (sitting in my garage)

Last edited:
i know you said be prepared, but i think you can just bring some extra ice and leave the fridge at home. :D

i'm excited to go. should be a fun trip. i need to start getting my stuff together for this trip as it's only a month away for me. i'm almost more worried about the long drive up there and back than i am about the trail.

i know you said be prepared, but i think you can just bring some extra ice and leave the fridge at home. :D

i'm excited to go. should be a fun trip. i need to start getting my stuff together for this trip as it's only a month away for me. i'm almost more worried about the long drive up there and back than i am about the trail.

hahahaha...:cheers:

I know that Max did it with 31's and full skid protection.

I would add "leaf spring" to your list. We met an XJ up there last year that sheared a whole spring pack in half right at the axle. He rounded up a sat phone and called a buddy for a spare. I'm sure it took a few days to arrive.

My first thought was "how do you break a whole leaf pack????!!"

Was watching a few more rubicon trail vids, and I ran across this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYqyY3ZBCEU&feature=related

Obviously some sort of promo trip, but darn it if they don't do pretty darned well for what seem to be bone stock trucks.

Rubicons have the following, if I'm not mistaken:

1-2" taller than standard
electronic sway bar disco
32" tires
4-to-1 tcase
factory skid plate package
factory lockers

being about the same size as an XJ, in general, it would seem the equation would work for a Cherokee, don't you think?

Obviously one would be taking bypasses, but that being the case, other than scratches on the skid plates and scuffs on the bumper, it would seem that big lifts and tires aren't really needed?

What if you outfitted an XJ as follows:

- 2" lift
- 32" bfg muds or KM2's
-sway bar disco's
-4 to 1 AA tcase gears
-front and rear lockers
-full skid plating

Seems like a very streetable balanced rig. Low COG. NO major driveline mods needed. Probably would do the trail nicely...

31's and 2 lockers, or 33's and 1 locker will make it in an XJ

x2, that's what I'm thinkin'. Try locked front and rear, with some good quality 31" tires, before dropping the coin on a 4 to 1 setup.

With max doing the trail on 31's + that and other vid's watched recently = definite reality check on what's needed to have fun and not ruin your rig.

Was watching a few more rubicon trail vids, and I ran across this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYqyY3ZBCEU&feature=related

Obviously some sort of promo trip, but darn it if they don't do pretty darned well for what seem to be bone stock trucks.

Rubicons have the following, if I'm not mistaken:

1-2" taller than standard
electronic sway bar disco
32" tires
4-to-1 tcase
factory skid plate package
factory lockers

being about the same size as an XJ, in general, it would seem the equation would work for a Cherokee, don't you think?

Obviously one would be taking bypasses, but that being the case, other than scratches on the skid plates and scuffs on the bumper, it would seem that big lifts and tires aren't really needed?

What if you outfitted an XJ as follows:

- 2" lift
- 32" bfg muds or KM2's
-sway bar disco's
-4 to 1 AA tcase gears
-front and rear lockers
-full skid plating

Seems like a very streetable balanced rig. Low COG. NO major driveline mods needed. Probably would do the trail nicely...

You may be overthinking this.....

Just put some 32s (or 33s), lockers, rock sliders, tow points and a TC skid on there and go and have some fun. The trail is not very challenging but extremely scenic so bring your camera.

BTW, what is '4 to 1 AA tcase gears'? Unless something is new, I haven't seen that before.

Post up in the sierra chapter when you guys head up. There's a lot of us that are local that always look for excuses to go.
I wouldn't bother w/ 31's, get 33's. I was up there last weekend with my xj and some of the stuff was quite a bit deeper than last year. They did have rock piles stacked for the upcoming jeepers jamboree to spread out and make things easier to minimize breakage so that'll help.
A locked xj on 31's will make it but it'd be a bumpy miserable ride imo. Add highlift to your list

And yes if you have crappy leafs bring a spare main.
Saki669 you may be talking about a guy who is on here, alboy? He broke a bastard leaf pack last august and we brought him in a main leaf.
And you can't reserve a campsite
Here's some pics of my XJ on 37's (that measure a true 36.8) on the con last weekend so you can get an idea of what the trail looks like right now.

Con2012004-1.jpg

Con2012106.jpg

Con2012076.jpg

Con2012033.jpg

Con2012112.jpg

Con2012016.jpg

763c48c4.jpg

60326618.jpg

6162d2e9.jpg

Last edited:
Back