• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Year/Make/Model of 8.8 donor?

jeepdreamer

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys.. I've been searching but can't find an answer even close to what I'm looking for. I found a good Ford 8.8 here in Germany. It looks to be in decent shape but needs brakes and some little stuff. The guy that works in the yard where its at doesn't remember what year or model Ford it came out of. Is there any way to figure this out so I can order the correct parts to swap it in my Cherk? The metal tag on the diff indicates its 4.10 ratio but I don't know if any of the other info on it is important? And there is a white factory sticker on one of the axle tubes but I have no idea what the letters/numbers mean. Can anyone offer me some thoughts please?

is it leaf spring? are the spring pertches on the top or bottom of the axle?

I can't seem to get my pics to load... :( Assuming they are low pinion and its laying upside down in my pic, it is leaf sprung and the pads are on the bottom. Anyone mind if I email you the pics so you can take a look?
Souske, thanks for that list... got to admit I'm not so sure what I'm looking at with it though. Haha. Where do you find the numbers for the "code" on the axle itself?

it's low pinion, yes.

oops... yes, disc brakes. trying to stare at the pics to give ya'll more info. The aluminum driveshaft is still connected.. not sure what year they stopped using steel ones? It has a sway bar attached to it also.
The white factory sticker on the axle tube says: 61 6F in big black letters.
The metal diff tag says this:
5616E
4 10 88 9009

not sure if any of that helps?

Hmm... if that diff tag is an S instead of a 5 like it looks in the picture ( :doh: ) It could be what the chart says is 96-01 Explorer or 97-01 Mountaineer.? That's if I'm reading the chart and the tag right? But it doesn't say how many splines the axle has? Anything has got to be an upgrade from the stinkin' Dana 35, right? :)
Does this sound correct? And could anyone break down the bits and parts needed to swap it into my 01 XJ? I'd like to try and compile the complete, nothing missing list if possible since it takes almost a month to get stuff sent here to me. Thanks a bunch so far guys!!!!!

Thanks...I talked to him and he carries whats needed to basically make it attach to the Jeep. Perches, U bolts, etc. But I'm looking (as I'm writing this) at build threads to see what the little "gotcha" items are. Like brake lines for the calipers, parking brake cables, what have you.... And I'm curious to know if my stock drive shaft will be reused with the replacement yolk for the axle? The welding of perches and shock mounts are no biggie..I just don't want to get stuck searching or oredering and waiting an extra month to get a brake line adapter or something..you know? That's why I'm hoping for all the help and advice I can get. And believe me... its greatly appreciated! :)

Ok, gotcha.
You are going to need the companion flange adapter
As for brake lines, I was able to re-use my stock one.
For E-brake cables, my 8.8 came with the lokar kit, hopefully someone else can chime in with what they used.

Could you post a pic of the axle and parts you have?

I would if I could.. believe me! The "manage attachments" thingy doesn't ever show up when I post.?. Any other ideas how? I shot a message to the site to ask why but that was just a little bit ago. I'll try and work on it somehow..I'm just crap with computers though. :O

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Not sure if this works...dang I hate computers!:badpc:

I used the brake line and vent T off the Jeep. I ended up running new hard lines to the caliper lines, as the ones on there were not in great shape.

Ok... cool So I should be ok just ordering new flex lines for the ford calipers and using the hard lines off my Jeep. Any thoughts on the ABS? I'm somewhat sure my 01 XJ has it...not sure about the 8.8 or if they would even work together? Also, any need for a new proportioning valve?

Abs isnt going to work anymore, just pull the relay, and it will be fine

For the proportioning valve, you could change to a ZJ valve, as the ZJ discs and the 8.8 discs are nearly identical.

Back