• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need an answer really fast

Alienspecimen

NAXJA Forum User
99 XJ 4WD 188K

My oil filler cap will not unscrew. I am turning it counterclockwise and all it does is click as it turns, but does not unscrew. I need to leave now and there is no oil in the engine.

What are my options?

Transfer oil into a smaller container if need be, then with it, and/or in addition to a small funnel, ready made, or home made, pour oil down dip-stick tube.

I had the same issue the last time I changed the oil in mine. Took a large pair of pliers, ripped the upper half of the cap off, and was then able to remove the threaded half to fill it up with oil. Reinstalled the threaded section, drove to OReilly, bought new cap.

edit: yep, exactly like that. ^

I had the same issue the last time I changed the oil in mine. Took a large pair of pliers, ripped the upper half of the cap off, and was then able to remove the threaded half to fill it up with oil. Reinstalled the threaded section, drove to OReilly, bought new cap.

edit: yep, exactly like that. ^
This is how I did mine only I threw the top half in trash and just use the threaded part.

Wow. hahahaha you guys crack me up. You know the cap is designed to do that. Dont worry about breaking it but twist counter clockwise hard. It will pop loose

Oh gee, thanks Mr Obvious. I guess no one thought to try turning it counterclockwise.

I am turning it counterclockwise and all it does is click as it turns

Oh, except for everyone who has had a cap break on them.

Has the Alienspecimen left yet?

Back