• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

hack and tap help!

the stig

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1992 XJ with an 4.5 short arm lift.
With an 8.25 rear end.
I got this tranfer case with a hack and tap
and I need help finding a rear driveshaft that will work!
Any help will help great as the truck only has front wheel drive
due to losing a oem drive live..
please help me!

2012-06-21182229.jpg

2012-06-21182210.jpg

if you have an auto, your front shaft should work.

you need a spicer flange adapter, it replaces the centering ball on your double cardan joint.

should look something like this when your done:

405372_269344199786670_430612088_n.jpg

you can see the original centering ball and yoke adapter (i dont know the proper terminology) in the top left of the photo. the flange adapter you need is installed.

When I built my sye setup about 10 years ago, the companion flange was mounted the opposite way.

dive shafts between 231 and 242 equipped XJs are the same length. but the motor and and transmission make a difference as well. most people use the drive shaft from a 4.0/AW4/231 XJ. the AX15 is a couple inches shorter, which makes the front drive shaft shorter. i can only speak for those two trannys.

as for installation...
1 - remove yoke adapter.
2 - install flange adapter.

lol, its pretty brainless stuff. biggest thing is to not lose the needles out of the centering ball. if you do, your better off just replacing the entire piece, instead of just the ball. a kit to replace the centering ball is as pricey as the entire flange adapter itself.

is there a stock front drive line... that I could use and if so year make and model ...
or I have also so hear that I could get the adapter flange from Napa....
dose any now what the part number would be????

Back