• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Nice little Backspacing Calculator

If you go measure the offset and then convert it to millimeters, why wouldnt you just measure the back spacing?

Helpful when looking for wheels one is considering for purchase. Lots of companies ex: tire rack only list in offest rather than backspacing. Most of the wheels I havbe considered buying are not in front of me for performing backspacing measurements. This is where the calculator would help.

it's also pretty easy to do in your head if you know some basic metric to SAE conversions. just take half the width of the rim and add or subtract the offset. a 15x8 wheel with a -19 offset is about a 3.25 backspacing, since 19mm is almost exactly .75". a 15x8 rim with a +19 offset would be 4.75" backspacing.

it's also pretty easy to do in your head if you know some basic metric to SAE conversions. just take half the width of the rim and add or subtract the offset. a 15x8 wheel with a -19 offset is about a 3.25 backspacing, since 19mm is almost exactly .75". a 15x8 rim with a +19 offset would be 4.75" backspacing.

That's too boring. Calculators are much cooler. They have buttons and all. Seriously though, just trying to help guys.

Last edited:
wasnt intending to ball bust, just adding to the convo in case someone didnt know how backspacing and offset were related. i use plenty of calculators myself for other stuff :D

8" wheel, 12 offset = 4.97" backspacing.
FAIL.

7.5" wheel, 0 offset = 4.25" backspacing
FAIL #2

Another good reason to know the math is if your calculator is a liar, you can tell when your calculator is lying...

lol, thought I was getting bashed there for a sec.

wasnt intending to ball bust, just adding to the convo in case someone didnt know how backspacing and offset were related. i use plenty of calculators myself for other stuff :D

Gotcha! :gee:

I'm going to check this out for myself:

The formula for backspacing is: nominal width plus 1", divided by 2 (to get centerline), then add the offset (positive or negative).
Example: (9" + 1") / 2 + (-12mm) = 4.5"
[Btw, 1" = 25.4mm]

Last edited:
I'm going to check this out for myself:

The formula for backspacing is: nominal width plus 1", divided by 2 (to get centerline), then add the offset (positive or negative).
Example: (9" + 1") / 2 + (-12mm) = 4.5"
[Btw, 1" = 25.4mm]
hmmm guess i was wrong, opps! i have -32 backspacing instead of -19 according to the calculator.

hmmm guess i was wrong, opps! i have -32 backspacing instead of -19 according to the calculator.

You mean offset? The nominal width is included in the calculator.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Ok, you got me curious, and I see now what I missed, here's a snip from the page source:

function calc(data){var cA7C=data.pA7C;var cA7D=data.pA7D;var cA7E=(((((((cA7C)+(1)))/(2)))+(((cA7D)/(25.4)))));data.pA7E=cA7E;};

It appears they picked 1" for the overall thickness of the inner & outer wheel lip (where it says cA7C + 1), that this is automatically adding in.
Given that, it does work at what it's doing, but 1" isn't always going to be the correct difference between the advertised wheel size and the measured wheel width outside to outside. .

True so in theory one would always have to know this norminal width to get exact results when performing the calculator. I thought about that too earlier.

Back