• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Will this work on removing the LCA Bolts?

GAXJ4U

NAXJA Forum User
Okay, having installed many lifts on many different makes I have to admit while much simpler in design lifting the XJ can be a task unto itself. The issue I am having (and it seems this is very common) is that the LCA bolts (particularly the ones attached to the Unibody) are frozen to the bushing sleeves. I have spent all weekend trying to come up with a way to remove these things. I have tried a butt load of penetrating fluid, a BFH and plenty of heat. It aint happening. I tried the sawzall approach but the blade is not putting a dent in those 10.9 Grade bolts (and that's not using cheap blades either). Now I'm thinking an angle grinder may be the way to go. However I'm not sure if a 4.5" cutt-off wheel is going to have the diameter to reach the bolts themselves. Can any verify this or if they have used an angle grinder what diameter wheel did they use.
I will be the first to admit. I'm a ASE Master Technician w/ L1 and have multiple Manufacturer Certifications and this project has been a major PITA. I'm not too proud to say that or ask for help. Finally got the adjustable track bar in but the LCA's are something else. Any help would be much appreciated.

I have tried a butt load of penetrating fluid,

Thats a lotta penetrating going on right there:gee:

as far as cutting threw the bolts a 4.5 angle grinder will work....my process however involved 2 people a pry bar and a breaker bar or 1/2 inch ratchet...while someone put pressure on the head of the bolt i turned it and it backed out of the sleeve...however the grind should work..

cut the from the outside, then pry open the lca mounts

I have tried a butt load of penetrating fluid,

Thats a lotta penetrating going on right there:gee:

as far as cutting threw the bolts a 4.5 angle grinder will work....my process however involved 2 people a pry bar and a breaker bar or 1/2 inch ratchet...while someone put pressure on the head of the bolt i turned it and it backed out of the sleeve...however the grind should work..

You're right it was alot, lol. Did you install your lift while the vehicle was on a lift? Here's the weird thing: One side is completely seized to the bushing. The other I can get to back out say 3/4" of an inch. Wish I had a lift right about now. Can't get the leverage I need with the thing on jack stands. Thanks for the reply!

cut the from the outside, then pry open the lca mounts

I was thinking about that. From what you and another said the mounts are somewhat easy to bend.

Try using a ball joint press. I had the same issue with my rear leaf eye bolts.

Do you have a link to this tool? I have a ball joint removal tool but we must be talking about two different things.

I'm actually glad I posted this question on two different forums. I like to support good informative forums and this was a little test to see which one would be the right one to go with. Don't think I've ever seen this many repsonses (especially from mods) on a forum ever. Thanks for the help!

Actually, screen names in red aren't mods, they're all club members. BTW, I'll invite you to take a quick look at the Member FAQ link in the forum toolbars at the top. You might also want to look at the sticky about registered users (that's you at the moment,) and forum supporters. Membership does have it's privileges.

Ball joint press is a C-shaped frame with an Acme threaded screw, something like http://www.harborfreight.com/four-wheel-drive-ball-joint-service-kit-4065.html (forgive me for posting an HF link.)

at work we've rigged up something similar to the balljoint press using threaded rod, plates and a 100ton jack to deal with stubborn tower connecting pins. if you can't get enough leverage with the ball joint press, tighten it as much as you can, then give it a smack with the bfh

That's good advice for use with a C-frame press. Remember to smack at 90 degrees to the screw, not on the end of it.

That's good advice for use with a C-frame press. Remember to smack at 90 degrees to the screw, not on the end of it.

Yeah I'm going to have to go look around and see what I can come up with. Obviously I need to find one that can clear the LCA Mount.

Actually, screen names in red aren't mods, they're all club members. BTW, I'll invite you to take a quick look at the Member FAQ link in the forum toolbars at the top. You might also want to look at the sticky about registered users (that's you at the moment,) and forum supporters. Membership does have it's privileges.

Payment for Membership Sent. Thanks.

Well I like to think I know a worth while investment when I see one. :cheers: Besides I don't think I've ever seen help given this fast on a forum. On other's with platforms that I'm familiar with I'm usually the one trying to answer questions. I'm thinking I could learn a thing or two here seeing I have limited experience with XJ's.

Welcome aboard.

What part of Georgia are you from?

Back