• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Question about WJ swap

Devilfrog

NAXJA Forum User
So I'm amassing the parts to do the front. And due to other issues I'm going to rolling on my wife's 08 JK Sahara wheels for a while (WHOAH BLING BOOIII!). But it'll at least give an idea on how 32's will work while I do the shake down runs ... And get me to work.
So that got me to thinking .... Can I convert to the JK bolt pattern when I swap the WJ knuckles on? The WJ hub should work in the front right?
Then I just have to sort out the rear ... Hoping the rear brakes will swap for disc's and I would just need to deal with the axleshaft differences.
Am I thinking clearly here?
I have to buy new 16" wheels anyway ... And I can convert my trailer and have one bolt pattern in my driveway.
Can it really be that simple?
Will the XJ shaft fit the WJ hub?
If so the front swap should actually be way easier. The rear will be an issue for the previously sated issue ... As long as the backplates will bolt to the C8.25 (what was the stock WJ rear axle?)

And just to clarify ... The JK 18" wheel thing is a temporary solution, I'll be using a set of adapters for now ... And that's what started this line of thinking. Just needed wheels to get me to work.
Like I said, I have to buy new wheels (16") either way, bolt pattern is not something I'm particular about. 5on5, or 5on4.5 is all fine to me. I do plan to do the ZJ rear disc as well so I was just thinking it might have been simpler to just change to the newer bolt pattern as it happens.

Doing the same here. I got a lead on a mopar part number for a WJ stub axle that has a ujoint from overseas. That way there would be no spacer needed, and the wj hub and everything could be used. As far as bolt patterns go, the WJ and the JK are the same pattern already.

Yeah, JK are D44 front and rear ... at least my Wife's 4dr Sahara is.

how is a jk 44 better than a xj 44? other than it being wider, which not everyone is going to agree is better.

Will the XJ shaft fit the WJ hub?

I was thinking the same, but after lots of searching I saw a post on here that said the XJ shaft will go into the WJ bearing, but there is not enough room to get the washer under the axle nut. He said that the WJ outer shafts are longer.

Does anybody have a WJ shaft around that they could measure for a definite answer?

~Alex

I was thinking the same, but after lots of searching I saw a post on here that said the XJ shaft will go into the WJ bearing, but there is not enough room to get the washer under the axle nut. He said that the WJ outer shafts are longer.

Does anybody have a WJ shaft around that they could measure for a definite answer?

~Alex

I know the xj shaft is shorter. No one in this country will be able to measure, as all xjs in this country had CVs. The export rigs had ujoint shafts. That is the art number I got.

Mopar PN 5012503AA

http://www.jeep4x4center.com/outer-shaft-5012503aa.html

i've had 3 axles with u joints here at some point, all stock shafts.
i've never actually seen a cv joint in an xj, they've all been u joints.

You could have the rear shafts drilled for the new bolt pattern; also many aftermarket shafts come drilled for both patterns (Check with Yukon or whoever you purchase the shafts from to be certain).

I hope the overseas WJ front U Joint shafts work, for XJ owners who want to retain a stock bolt pattern it is easy to drill the WJ unit bearings to work with stock XJ wheels,
The WJ Unit bearings are huge compared to XJ units, providing a nice upgrade
Not needing to weld spacers on to the WJ hubs is a big plus for the average guy.

Resurrection, but...
I think the JK 27 spline stub shaft will work. It's 0.19" longer. I haven't gotten my hands on all of this to verify, but the JK stub looks to me like the winner for going 5x5 on Dana 30 knuckles.

Back