• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Track bar bracket questions/suggestions

anthrax323

NAXJA Forum User
(2001 XJ, NP231 w/ TW SD SYE)

Hey all,

I'm balls-deep in a fix-the-damn-Jeep project (hit a calf out in Big Bend a few months ago) and have finally finished all the sheetmetal work, but now my attention is turning elsewhere...

I've broken 2 pitman arm pullers trying to remove the stock pitman arm from my old steering box (sheared the lower bolt, warranting a replacement). Given that I'm at roughly 5" of lift and don't want to dick with it anymore, I'm ordering an RE2500 drop pitman arm. RE confirmed it only provides about 3/4" drop, which looks like it'll be enough to reduce the extreme angles I'm seeing on my stock Y-link TREs to more moderate levels.

My question is this - what track bar brackets would you guys recommend that would offer a similar amount of drop? I have an RE1600 track bar, but could always use an excuse to upgrade it. Should I go the RE route and use their bracket, brace, and the beefier RE1660 bar, or are there other vendors I should consider? I'm honestly a little bummed that Andy over at IronMan 4x4 Fab doesn't make a track bar bracket, because his control arms are among the best purchases I've made for my XJ.

Thanks in advance!

you can use the crappy RE heim track bar with the RE bracket, the spacers fit right in there. It's a nice bracket too, for the price especially. This is how mine is. however, i did have to drill out the hole in the bracket where the heim bolt goes through, which is not a huge deal. just drilled it to 5/8".
i'm at 5" of lift, and my angles look good with this setup and stock drag link/pitman arm.

Thanks for the tip man - definitely not the first time I've heard it. The only caveat I see to this is that I have to modify the bracket, which might limit my options in the future. Would it be feasible to simply look into a different heim with the appropriate threads with a smaller eye?

Also, what misalignment spacers will I need? Or more accurately - how wide a bushing is the RE1665 designed to hold, and what diameter was the hole initially?

Thanks for the tip man - definitely not the first time I've heard it. The only caveat I see to this is that I have to modify the bracket, which might limit my options in the future. Would it be feasible to simply look into a different heim with the appropriate threads with a smaller eye?

Also, what misalignment spacers will I need? Or more accurately - how wide a bushing is the RE1665 designed to hold, and what diameter was the hole initially?
pretty sure the heim has a 3/4" hole, and the track bar bracket has a 9/16" hole. you could always have someone make some misalignment spacers for you, or maybe you can find a piece of tube or something with a .625"od and .5625"ID so you can use a 9/16" bolt with your existing track bar.

pretty sure the heim has a 3/4" hole, and the track bar bracket has a 9/16" hole. you could always have someone make some misalignment spacers for you, or maybe you can find a piece of tube or something with a .625"od and .5625"ID so you can use a 9/16" bolt with your existing track bar.
Thanks for the info - do you know the width of the bracket itself? I get the feeling misalignment spacers of the appropriate sizes may already be available... Just need to figure out how wide the RE1660 johnny joint is so I can match that. I might just go ahead and give RE a call.

Thanks for the info - do you know the width of the bracket itself? I get the feeling misalignment spacers of the appropriate sizes may already be available... Just need to figure out how wide the RE1660 johnny joint is so I can match that. I might just go ahead and give RE a call.
2"

Did you ask Andy? He made me one...

edit: that was a few years ago, and when he still offered the double-shear bar & bracket as a heavy-duty combo on his site. I guess maybe he's too busy these days.

Last edited:
Back