• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Manual To Auto

Whiplash_Syndicate

NAXJA Forum User
My clutch is going out and i want to go to auto.(I know manual better bla bla bla) I just want an auto now. I know i need the trans but unsure what years fit. I need the shifter cable, ecu, wiring, torque converter, flex plate, and brake pedal assembly. Is that all I need or is there anything else im going to need. I plan on swapping next weekend so any other parts i may need please list. Thanks.

Last edited:
Year of your XJ would help. I think you probably need the separate TCU as well, an AW4 isn't controlled by the ECU.

Unless you've regeared you have 3.07, autos come 3.55 stock and 3.07 kinda bog down with 31's on a manual, wouldn't want to try with a aweful4 and 3.07

Not really a hijack...

...but how would the AW4 be boggier than a BA/10 (yep, still with 3.07's and 31's). My BA/10 is actually pretty peppy with the gear/tire combo and 4.0. Are you saying that swapping in an AW4 would change the driving characteristics.

Not really a hijack...

...but how would the AW4 be boggier than a BA/10 (yep, still with 3.07's and 31's). My BA/10 is actually pretty peppy with the gear/tire combo and 4.0. Are you saying that swapping in an AW4 would change the driving characteristics.
I always found the AX-15/ 3.07 combination fine on the road, but a bit high off the road. I'm assuming, since an AW4 is set to shift at the right points with 3.55 gearing, it would not behave the same with a 3.07. I haven't tried it, of course, so perhaps it would be fine, but given that many off roaders prefer to regear in the other direction, I'd ask some of the gear geeks here before proceeding, especially if this vehicle is meant to go on trails. Aside from needing low range more often off road, I'd worry a bit about the transmission running hot.

Exactly, your gearing in the wrong direction putting more strain on an aw4 which gets hot enough as is

I would have thought that since 5 speeds are fairly rare, and desired by some, but AW4's are fairly abundant, it would make more sense to buy one that's already what you want and sell the other, unless yours is heavily built up.

Its a 93. I do have stock gears but also running stock size tires. I have an 8.8 to go in soon but im not offroading till i get done with what i want done. Hell i haven't put it in 4wd in over a year. I dont like 4wheeling in a manual unless its a mud pit and i will not do that after destroying my yota a few years ago.

I dont want to buy another jeep this one is 100% rust free and all manual with ac that i just spent 300$ fixing.

Back