• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cooling the Auto

TORX

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
So I'm looking to add a transmission cooler and a temp gauge for some feedback. Curious what other people are running for coolers/gauges and how you plumbed it. I've heard of bypassing the radiator, and just using an external cooler. As well as running a cooler after the radiator. Which would be more beneficial for the NW?

I'm looking at this cooler and gauge from B&M. Any other recommendations?
Gauge
Cooler

Also, what's the go to method for a fluid change? I'm leaning toward draining the pan, driving 500 miles, and repeat this three or four times.

I would run the gauge first to see if you need the cooler. And for fluid change, go into a shop that has the machine, It will probably cost you about the same as the fluid it's self. then change the filter yourself immediately after.

I would run the gauge first to see if you need the cooler. And for fluid change, go into a shop that has the machine, It will probably cost you about the same as the fluid it's self. then change the filter yourself immediately after.

x2.

i picked up the fluids and braught them to aamco, they only charged me labor to pump the old stuff out, and dump new in. this may make you scratch your head a little. but the AW4 torq converter only holds 4.5qts of fluid...:dunno: $65 and i was outie in an hr.

i completely bypassed the stock cooler and use only an external cooler. if you are in a climate that freezes a lot then you might want to keep the stock cooler since the radiator will actually warm it up in the cold. but since mine rarely sees the outdoors and it isnt really ever "freezing" out in washington, i went with just bypassing the stock cooler. im actually using a motorhome tranny cooler i picked up from schucks and it seems to be working just fine

i completely bypassed the stock cooler and use only an external cooler. if you are in a climate that freezes a lot then you might want to keep the stock cooler since the radiator will actually warm it up in the cold. but since mine rarely sees the outdoors and it isnt really ever "freezing" out in washington, i went with just bypassing the stock cooler. im actually using a motorhome tranny cooler i picked up from schucks and it seems to be working just fine

x2. the radiator cooler is not needed at this latitude. Do you homework, but the plate style coolers are much more efficient than the oem style fin coolers. This is the one I just bought for my other car (xj has 2 factory)
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HDA-678/

I think you should cut a hole in the floor so you can reach down and touch the transmission, that way you can tell how how it is. If it gets too hot, just blow on it.

I think you should cut a hole in the floor so you can reach down and touch the transmission, that way you can tell how how it is. If it gets too hot, just blow on it.

LMAO

I understand wanting to warm the trans up in cold temps but were we live I would just run the cooler. If you think about it you rad is running at around 200deg all the time. You don't want your trans to be that hot all the time. Good idea though for as much snow wheeling you do it's going to get hot. That forward and backward stuff will kill that auto with out it. Just my $.02.

I have a 12x12" hayden trans cooler, when my trans went out last year I replaced everything but the radiator. So I bypassed the radiator to avoid fluid contamination

The b&m cooler is the best one tho!
I suggest an isspro gauge because they are made here in the northwest and have the best reputation

transcooler007.jpg
Ive had this for years, I bought it for the Cherokee, however the last time I serviced my trans everthing seemed to look and smell okay, even after driving it threw the Siskiyous with 3:55s totaly loaded, and running sand dunes in 90 degree weather. I think its okay as is, I do have the factory auxiliary cooler though.

I have another idea;

You could build a tray that straps around the transmission. On hot days you could fill the tray with ice. It would work as a skid plate too.

I think that's a great idea.

Picked up a plate style from the junkyard. Out of a newer Grand Cherokee with a tow package. I think it was stock. $20 and it's about 10"x12" .

i had a B&M cooler/guage in the xj and it did a great job, actually well built and stout compared to the cheapo tube/fin one at shucks.. get the a pilliar mount tho

Ordered up a Hayden 678 11x9.5x.75 tranny cooler. The Hayden unit offered a little more surface area than the B&M for the same price. I'm leaning toward bypassing the radiator, and just running it straight to the cooler. However, now I find myself over thinking about over cooling the tranny. :rolleyes:

Found this picture of the stock "heat exchanger" that the tranny fluid runs through in the radiator. It's pretty much just there to warm the fluid. No real cooling built into the stock system unless your model had the optional tranny cooler.
In-RadiatorHeatExchanger.jpg

Also, ordered up a Derale power steering cooler. I ran a PS cooler on Jeepforceone and it made a noticeable difference crawling in the rocks when the steering would heat up.

Looking forward to crossing these off the to-do list before summer wheeling starts.

The cooler you picked is about the same size as mine, I run a seperate fan on mine, on all the time when wheelin. The cooler I mounted vertically on the frame rail. Air blows toward the fender.

thats a great idea! I think i'm going to buy a small fan for mine!

I just picked up a Mag-hytec tranny pan with an extra 1.5qts fluid capacity..

I'll be doing a temp gauge along with it..:patriot:

Back