• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cutting the hood

LYKOS

NAXJA Forum User
I am ordering some.hood vents on Friday. I know jack squat about cutting sheetmetal. I have a sawzall at my disposal. Will that work for my hood or do I need something more precise?

I guess that would depend on how precise you want to be. Most of the write ups around here are using a jigsaw, because cut off wheels and grinders heat up too much and will flake the paint around the cut.

Do a quick search and you will be able to find many how-to's.

HTT

I guess that would depend on how precise you want to be. Most of the write ups around here are using a jigsaw, because cut off wheels and grinders heat up too much and will flake the paint around the cut.

Do a quick search and you will be able to find many how-to's.

HTT

I dont disagree, if your gonna use a jig saw, use a good metal blade & tape off the area so it doesnt mess up any of your paint.

I used a grinder because my vents covered where I was cutting, just make sure to blanket or cover your windshield/paint so the sparks dont melt anything it makes quick work of it.

Ok cool. Just the advice I was looking for. Thanks.

I used a jig saw with the finest metal cutting blade I could find. Also drilled the corners .I also cut from the inside,,,I pulled the hood off.

Find pics at Web shots, wbsjp albums.

Last edited:
I agree with these guys that a jig saw would work a lot better, especially if the vents are like LeBaron hood vents that don't allow for a lot of wiggle room.
If you leave the hood on the Jeep you may want to cover the engine with an old blanket or cardboard to keep all the metal chips from getting in all the cracks and crevices on top of the engine area.

I have the LeBaron hood vents and plan on doing the project this summer. I need a new hood since mine has some minor dents on it.

I have the LeBaron hood vents and plan on doing the project this summer. I need a new hood since mine has some minor dents on it.

Back