• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

So Cal guy needs some info about Washington

BigSteve

NAXJA Forum User
So me and the wife are contemplating moving to the Lacey, Washington area. Like I said I am so cal born and raised and we are both in our late 20's. Am I in for a rude awakening weather wise and community wise? Is this a good place to raise a family? I can tell you that I am currently kind of dreading the idea because when I think Washington, I think almost always snowy, gloomy and slow paced. Am I way off base here? Please don't sugar coat it, hit me right between the eyes with the good and bad of the area. Thanks in advance for any help and opinions.

Yeah, you are in for a shock if you want to move to Lacey.

It does rain a lot. Not that it rains a lot at one time. It just rains a little bit for a long time. Like 6 months.

I spent some time in Sacramento when my brother lived there and Lacey is quite a bit slower paced than that. I grew up around Tacoma and found Lacey to be kinda boring. There's not much to do. You wanna go to the mountains? It'll take 1 1/2 hours. Wanna go to the beach. It'll take you 1 1/2 hours. Wanna go wheelin? Yup, 1 1/2 hours.

I guess what I'm trying to say is unless you want to slow down quite a bit you should look elsewhere.

And just out of curiosity, why Lacey?

Lacey washington is 20miles south of Tacoma washington..

Tacoma washington has the highest suicide rate in America...

Thay blame it on the weather..

Truth!

Lacey washington is 20miles south of Tacoma washington..

Tacoma washington has the highest suicide rate in America...

Thay blame it on the weather..

Truth!

It's not the weather, it's the drugs:gee:

That and the Narrow's bridge. Seriously, who doesnt want to jump off that sucker?

And just out of curiosity, why Lacey?

The wife got a pretty nice job offer there and is trying to convince me to move. I just feel that going from Orange County,CA to Washington is going to kill me. I can't stand a slow pace of life.

It rains probably 290 out of 365 days a year. No joke. The weather here is miserable. Everything is wet and nothing ever dries out.

I grew up in Olympia, Wa and know the Lacey area very well. After spending a few years living in San Diego I moved back home. After a month, I couldn't wait to move back to SoCal. I finished school at WSU and moved to OC 3 days after graduation. (I found my mood is very much tied to the weather.)

Good: Cost of living is better than OC

Bad: Slooooooow pace, always grey & gloomy, limited restuarant shopping selection unless you drive to Tacoma/Seattle. (at least while I lived there and didn't appear much better when I was home '04-'06) It wasn't until '05 that they finally had a stadium seating theater in the area!

I am originally from Nebraska, however I lived in L.A. for 2 years and the San Francisco bay area for 12 years. I though that by growning up in Nebraska would have prepared me for living in Oregon. I figured I could deal, boy was I wrong, its not the rain that bothers me its the lack of sunshine. If my GF didnt have a vacation home here we would have moved to Denver CO. Dever has sunshine 365 days a year or something like that, check it out.

Speaking as someone who was born and raised in California. Don't do it if you're a sun-lover, or are ever so slightly inclined towards seasonal depression. That being said:

The summers are georgous, the people are ok, the air and water is clean. Washingtonians (non motorsports oriented) cant drive worth a shit either!!!!! Seriously, the freeway habits here will drive you nuts. Personally I think it sucks for raising kids because the weather is so shitty. But, my kid's are still young and they get cold easily.

c6e4dfed-0577-8f39.jpg

Todays weather. Enjoy.

Good we didn't want you here anyway!!!!

If you ever change your mind come on up. We'd love to have you up here.

Dick

Back