• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OME lift + spacers and shackles?

Meanie5470

NAXJA Forum User
Hey I recently bought an xj (my 3rd one so far lol) for a woods beater. Original plan was a rough country 6.5 lift with 33x14 boggers. Come to find out theres already an Old Man Emu lift in it in decent shape. Of course I didnt notice it when I bought it because OME lifts barely lift the truck lol but it def is an inch or so higher. Im thinking now I might just throw a cheap 2 inch in it on top of the OME stuff since OME hardware is supposedly top notch. Will the OME Nitrocharger shocks still be ok with the extra 2 inches? Can I clear 33's with only 3-4 inches of lift? What else would I need?

Shackles are ok but full spring packs are much better. You will need some serious fender trimming to clear 33's. My 96 had 3" springs and bushwacker cutout flares with 32X1050's. I would still rub a little in extreme situations. I'd do the 6.5 spring lift.

Yea normally I wouldnt settle for shackles but its only because its with an OME spring pack. IDK I guess in my head Im going taller and downgrading at the same time by replacing OME with Rough Country lol. Any idea how tall I can go on these shocks?

http://www.arbusa.com/Contact.aspx Talk to the OME tech rep. Toll free number, or email them. You might require front coil spacers, etc., etc., etc., but they can advise you on the correct shocks for what you wish to reach. Btw: They have a pdf that is handy regards their fittments.

Ah looks like the extended shocks are only good to 5 inches and I think mine are the normal ones. That being said Ill have an OME lift for sale soon if anyones interested lol

Sell the OME shocks, get some Bilstein or Fox's. Get the OME AAL which are meant for use with OME leafs. Maybe pick up HDOR shackle relocation brackets for add'l lift in rear also. Grab a pair of ACOS for the front.

OME N35L and N36L are their long travel shocks. You didnt list what shocks you have currently, but i doubt they'll give you enough travel. Could always bumpstop if you dont care about not having the extra articulation.

my lift has ome full leafs with the d22xl extra leaf
and has a 2" spacer in front and o.m.e. Long travel shocks

it's got 31's that fit nicely and I've trimmed and am saving up for the 33's and they will fit nicely now that i have trimmed.

it's the DPG offroad 4" super ultimate hybrid . (except I got g.c. Heavier coil for winch and bumper weight)

Last edited:
Sell the OME shocks, get some Bilstein or Fox's. Get the OME AAL which are meant for use with OME leafs. Maybe pick up HDOR shackle relocation brackets for add'l lift in rear also. Grab a pair of ACOS for the front.
Wow I never heard of ACOS. That looks pretty legit. Have people had any problems with getting like 3 inches out of them?

And yea I gotta get under the truck tomorrow and see which shocks I have. Might bumpstop as a temp fix but Id hate to have my shocks be all thats holding me back from more flex.

Specs show that ACOS can give a max of 3.75" lift. If you need you could add an additional coil spring isolator or something for a little extra. ACOS are great for that extra height/fine tuning your lift.

33's with 1.75" spacers and aal's
j_001.JPG

33's with 3" springs
209.JPG

id do 33's and 3" in a heartbeat again for a dd/weekend warrior, still used up 10" travel shocks and was extremly stable/predictible

Sell the OME lift and get a good 6.5" lift with the money.

If someone will pay you top dollar for a lift that is identical to others, at twice the price, just because it's supposedly from Australia, take advantage,...

Back