• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil Filter Elbow?

drumrhythm2

NAXJA Forum User
Hello Everyone,

Workin on my '93 XJ 4.0, I have an oil leak between the block and an elbow bracket leading to the oil filter. It seems like a 1/2" or so allen wrench takes the bracket off, but what gasket/o-ring/seal do I need, and does anyone have tips or previous experience?,

Thanks,

RHD 5.5

IIRC, it's a set of 3 seals, 2 on the through-bolt, and a 3rd on the adapter-block sealing surface. Can't tell you what size they are, dealerships carried them as a set.

IIRC, it's a set of 3 seals, 2 on the through-bolt, and a 3rd on the adapter-block sealing surface. Can't tell you what size they are, dealerships carried them as a set.

Yes, it is a 3 'O' ring kit. I think it need a 9/16" allen wrench but do not hold me to that since I am yet to fix the leak on my XJ having bought the kit some 4 years ago.

i have a 99 and it was a t55 or t60 torx.. however i couldnt fit the rachet and socket between the elbow and frame so i hammered the socket inside the open end of a wrench and welded it there and that was small enough to fit... dont remember how much the o ring kit at the dealership was but it was under 15 bucks..

there are a lot of variations on the oil filter elbow, but a renix hex head bolt will fit in a h.o. elbow. So once you get that stupid torx out, you should replace it with a renix thru bolt.

I chased down my first o-ring set at the dealership, and 2 out of the 3 orings fit... the biggest one wasnt even close. Morris4x4center sells a kit for like $4, where everything fits... XXXX the dealership...

T-60 Torx. Just did 2 of them a month ago.
Get the seal kit from the dealer for about $8.

You guys are correct it is a torx head bolt, I remember buying one at Auto Zone but I am yet to use it.

I have a 93 XJ and mine is hex thank god. The dealership will only carry one kit and I brought mine home with no worries but to my surprise one of the three o rings was too big. When you go to the dealership take the whole oil filter adapter and elbow and make sure the rings fit on the neck snug. If they are slightly too big and you install it you are just wasting your time. Took me only fifteen minutes. Good luck!

so i have everything off, but the old main seal is like a sort of plastic rather than rubber, its completely flush and i dont wanna hurt the elbow so i cant pry anywhere on it,, any suggestions?

Use a small flathead screwdriver, and attempt to wiggle it in between the old o ring and the housing. Should pop right out.

since i just replaced every other seal and gasket on the engine, i may as well do this also. but since i will need to remove it, is there any product that relocates the oil filter so it doesnt sit upside down? i hate having all that oil get all over at filter change time.

since i just replaced every other seal and gasket on the engine, i may as well do this also. but since i will need to remove it, is there any product that relocates the oil filter so it doesnt sit upside down? i hate having all that oil get all over at filter change time.

Not that I know of. The adapter is on there for a reason. Clearance issues with the motor mount/brackets.

On the HO engines, the filter sit paralel to the engine instead of up side down. I do not know if the adaptor could be transplanted to the Renix era blocks. I am sure someone here know that.

Placing a Large McDonalds drink cup under the filter does wonders in keeping oil from spilling, It fits nicely in there too.

On the HO engines, the filter sit paralel to the engine instead of up side down. I do not know if the adaptor could be transplanted to the Renix era blocks. I am sure someone here know that.

I've transplanted early HO OFAs to Renix, but they're still upside down. I think it only has to do with where the roll pin in the block locates the OFA. And the different seals needed, of course. Use the seals for the year of the OFA.

when I did mine I ended up not having clearance for my torx . I ground flat spots on the part that bells out wider for the ratchet to attach to.

then instead of using a ratchet I stuck torx in place and used a crecent on the flat spots I ground in.. my torx bit was one piece so hammering it out of the ratchet attachment wasn't an option

not shure if that's explained too clearly haha

they do that. you might try some PB to help brake it loose.
You can try a dental pick, just be careful not to gouge up the aluminum

Back