• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear suspension question

depofmed

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 99 cherokee rwd 60,000 miles. Whenever someone sits in the back seat they say the ride is horrible and it throws them around. My buddy noticed that the rear of the car sits too low and most likely the leaf springs need replacement (the car was driven 5000 miles in the last 5 years by the previous owner). I want stock nothing special. I see omix ada and dorman as leaf springs, is dorman any good (they are about 25 dollars cheaper each (can pick the up for 75 per vs 98 per)). Also for shocks go for kyb or monroe (trying not to invest much, just I don't want my backseat passengers to bounce around like a ball, lol. Thank you in advance.

New leafs and shocks should help a lot, but in the end it's a jeep not a caddy. The back seat sucked when they were new.

On that I don't know bro,
I'm running stock leafs with a 3" Adda-leaf.
I'm guessing you pay for what you get, Cheap Leafs will sag sooner but might offer a more comfortable squishie ride. I would just go for what ever is in the budget.

Doorman tends to make decent enough products.

I bought Crown replacements from Morris4x4 (same leafs that Quadratec, 4WDH, Rusty's etc sell), and they've been fine. I have used both Omix and Dorman parts without issue, but I have no idea about their springs. I would think they would probably be alright on a stock Jeep.

I have Monroe Sensatrac shocks on my junk. They've also been fine, although I think these exact shocks are discontinued. If your stock parts are wasted, almost anything will be an improvement.

Last edited:
One more question, my jeep according to the dealer website says it takes 52000 051AB (w/ZUT,ZFT) bu the dorman says there's is for ZGT or ZVT (52000 545AB). Will the dorman fit on the jeep and what's the difference.
Also the omix says its for heavy duty, will they fit as well?
Thanks in advance.

I just got the omix hd leafs off rock auto much improved. kinda stiff. but i haul with my jeep and have shit in the back all the time. I can hold a 500 lb tongue weight trailer with maybe a 1.5 inch drop in the rear. For shocks I got KYB GR2 they work fine. I drive mainly on the Highway and do play in the mud with friends every now and again.

Edit: I also have a 99 xj 4.0l l sport 4 door 4x4, I replaced mine with 204,000 on the originals though. Kinda weird yours are blown out. PO must have abused it

Last edited:
I just got the omix hd leafs off rock auto much improved. kinda stiff. but i haul with my jeep and have shit in the back all the time. I can hold a 500 lb tongue weight trailer with maybe a 1.5 inch drop in the rear. me gusta

Edit: I also have a 99 xj 4.0l l sport 4 door 4x4, I replaced mine with 204,000 on the originals though. Kinda weird yours are blown out. PO must have abused it

Can it get this way from sitting for a long time?
Are the 2 difernet springs interchangeable (the 52000 051AB (w/ZUT,ZFT) and the ZGT or ZVT (52000 545AB))?

Back