• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

wj knuckles on xj d30 C's

EastonCombat

NAXJA Forum User
99 WJ teves knuckles -which ball joints do i need (doing all 4), i remember seeing this here, but couldnt locate it, please point me in right direction

thanks

I forget which are the different ones, the uppers or lowers, but you can run all four WJ ball joints on XJ inner Cs no problem.

EDIT: Beaten to the punch.

FWIW, WJ ball joints often are priced about double the price of XJ units.....which is why I think that folks often cheap out and try to run the XJ joints with their WJ knuckle.

There is a difference in taper of 1.5" per foot and 2" per foot, which means that the XJ joints will eventually wobble out the tapered holes in the knuckles and you will then be shopping for new WJ ball joints and a new knuckles.

Run the WJ ball joints.

JK balljoints and WJ balljoints are the same. If you buy them for the JK they can cost less.

There are upgraded (Synergy) JK balljoints available that will work with WJ knuckles and last longer.

People say XJ uppers, but the reason for this is that XJ and WJ uppers are the same part.

Last time I bought a set (only time, as I sold my WJ steering parts collection before ever installing it) I got two upper/lower WJ balljoint kits for $90 shipped. I hesitate to specify where because my last experience with the company (a year after buying the balljoints) was less than positive, I haven't received my order in over six months since I placed it, though I also haven't been charged. It has been nearly impossible to get ahold of them to solve it, too.

that's the place I got them.

Two years or so ago they were great. Since my order last fall that still hasn't shipped I'm not sure I can recommend them.

I ordered a WJ ball joint combo set, XJ & WJ uppers are the same, WJ lowers have a different taper.

WJ brake upgrade question, Has anyone tried using the redrilled WJ unit bearings instead of welding on the 1/4" spacer?
I read that it works but I don't know anyone who has tried it!

The WJ unit bearing is thicker, and you cannot properly get an XJ stub axle into it. You only get a few threads on the stub nut, with no washer and no cotter pin.

It is not safe.

IIRC WJ shafts are CV, adn there aren't alloys available for WJ either way. Who wants stock axles?

Some people claim the WJ unit bearing has bigger bearings, but I dont think I believe that.

I haven't. It's an interesting idea. The other thing I considered was get an 8.8 for the rear and buy adapter spacers instead of regular spacers to convert the rear to 5x5 as well, then run some blingin' WJ/JK takeoff wheels. Then the front ends up being 100% factory components... and so does the rear, except for the spacers, which are reusable.

You could also convert the rear to 5x5 any other way - an 8.25 with double-patterned alloy shafts, 44 with the same, 9", etc. Pick your poison.

Back