• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

how to make the trans run cooler?

Yep you can do it for crazy cheap by finding one out of another car at a junkyard and plumbing it in. and securing it in front of the radiator (did mine on passenger side in front of fan)
and decide whether to bypass the in radiator heat exchanger or not (seems like personal preference as both ways work well) although if your jeep sees cold id use the exchanger.

Or you can do like i did and buy a nice stacked plate cooler and a trans temp guage and spend a little.

or if your lines leak like mine i also changed out the lines to jegs pushlock hose with AN fittings and and i added a pendant style oil filer (with a wix 51515 filter) to add volume and filtration and spend too mush like i did . :)

all the info on the hows and why's is all on this site so search for it and good luck !

Cooler Trans = Longer Life

Last edited:
An item overlooked quite often on modified vehicles with auto trans is the quality of the fluid used. Auto can handle much higher temps with the proper fluid, not off the shelf crap. Look at Sweptco SWE-41420, it can make a very substantial difference, especially used with a good cooler. This fluid alone will stop the issue of over expansion and blowing fluid out when hot.

It gets up to 117f where I live in the summer but I heard u guys talking about cancelling the lines that go to the radiator to make it run a little cooler. But don't know if its true. It only gets down to like 45f in the winter and I do offroad and plan to pull a pop up trailer...

If so how big of a cooler should I get in the front?

It gets up to 117f where I live in the summer but I heard u guys talking about cancelling the lines that go to the radiator to make it run a little cooler. But don't know if its true. It only gets down to like 45f in the winter and I do offroad and plan to pull a pop up trailer...

If so how big of a cooler should I get in the front?

Ah HA! The people that were talking about cancelling the lines were debating on whether or not to leave the in radiator "cooler" after adding an additional trans cooler..
Some xj's have an aux cooler stock (probably not as nice as efficient stacked plate aftermarket one) and that would help alot in itself with the heat.
if mine had the stock aux cooler i may not have done my aftermarket one ..

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1025800

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1068222

Heres a couple links for you the first one has a few recomendations on coolers to use.

the second is my thread the first post has a link to Talyn and grimmjeepers walkthroughs. I used the same cooler as Talyn and did almost the same setup except i replaced ALL of the lines and fittings.

(my setup is probably more expensive than it needed to be but im happy)

I didnt end up leaving any of the origional lines or fittings..
but because my temp sensor was hooked to hose instead of hard line i had to ground the sending unit for the temp guage

Last edited:
Yep you can do it for crazy cheap by finding one out of another car at a junkyard and plumbing it in. and securing it in front of the radiator (did mine on passenger side in front of fan)
and decide whether to bypass the in radiator heat exchanger or not (seems like personal preference as both ways work well) although if your jeep sees cold id use the exchanger.

Or you can do like i did and buy a nice stacked plate cooler and a trans temp guage and spend a little.

or if your lines leak like mine i also changed out the lines to jegs pushlock hose with AN fittings and and i added a pendant style oil filer (with a wix 51515 filter) to add volume and filtration and spend too mush like i did . :)

all the info on the hows and why's is all on this site so search for it and good luck !

OK, so... I was not being overly sarcastic but, yes, add a cooler. I picked up Factory Ford coolers for both my transmission and the power steering (most folk forget about that) for about $30.00 from the local Pull & Pay. The donor was a F350. Cleaned them out with both laquer thinner and 91% alcohol prior to installing. Good thing I did as the trans cooler had a pin hole. The JY did an exchange for another one.

But, you can overcool a transmission. My cooler is mounted, out of the direct air stream with a puller fan and a T-Stat. Fan come on a 185F and goes off at 165F.

Why out of from in front of the radiator? I put it there first and discovered, while fighting the omnipresent overheat issue we all love so much, that I got a 5F overall drop in engine temp by moving the cooler out from in front of the radiator.

The Jeep factory cooler sits below the radiator. I suspect for this very reason...

Where did you find the external filter kit and where did you mount it?
? where did you plumb in the gauge? thanks

Where did you find the external filter kit and where did you mount it?
? where did you plumb in the gauge? thanks

Got almost all of the parts from jegs (except the cooler itself)

That Second link i posted in this thread has links to Talyn and Grimmjeepers walkthroughs.

Talyns got his parts list (mine was a bit different but his was a good start for me)

Hes got the brand name and part number of the filter as well as all the other parts he used wich all came from Jegs except the Cooler.

I got the same cooler he did as well and bent brackets so it mounted in front of the rad. not touching anything (no zip ties to rub a hole eventually)

The difference in my setup was i couldnt mount the filter where he did because i wanted to use the much larger wix 51515 filter (like i use on my engine) So mine is mounted higher up in the engine compartment. and mine is converted all the way back to the trans using connectors like Grimm jeeper did..

So like i said all the info is on here already LoL.

I am doing a build thread (have more done than ive gotten around to posting) but i was planning on getting to the trans cooler setup today or tonight so my pics will be in there then.

Heres a link to that http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?p=245610454

yes I do have an oem trans radiator in the front!! so let me get this straighit if cancel the lines that go into the radiator for cooling the engine and keep the trans cooler in the front only it will cool my transmission better....

Last edited:
I dont know really because mine uses the exchanger in the radiator.
and runs plenty cool with my setup in any weather.

Why do you think yours needs it ?

Mine was on 31's and stock gearing (geared down now) and mine never overheated (or at least it never puked any fluid from overheating)

I happened to have a trans line leak that spurred me into action and i figured prolonging the life of the trans was a good idea.

Why dont you install a temp guage and see where your at . then delete the in radiator one and post up the difference?

Ya that what going to do... It's cuz it gets so freaking hot don here and I use to go to the races in the deesert but ill keep in touch with u guys and see how hot it runs....

I picked up a nice cooler and went to install it and am drawing a blank on how to mount it. I don't want to use the plastic things through the radiator, I want to hard mount it in front of the radiator. Anyone with pictures on how they mounted the cooler in front of the radiator.

http://jeepin.com/features/trannycooler

I have the same cooler, and mounted it pretty much the same way. Bent the straps, riveted to the crossmember up top, screws at the bottom. Leaves room between the condenser and the cooler, fits behind the grille with no cutting.

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii244/AHhub/forum stuff/DSCF5569.jpg

If I had a smaller cooler, I probably would have tried to stick it behind the bumper in the lower crossmember like GoJeep and some others, but this works well for me.

yes I do have an oem trans radiator in the front!! so let me get this straighit if cancel the lines that go into the radiator for cooling the engine and keep the trans cooler in the front only it will cool my transmission better....

If you are referring to ...

1/. Bypassing the radiator heat exchanger, and
2/. Just using just the chrysler fitted, OEM "cooler" ...

I can assure you, from personal experience, that you will have an unsatisfactory setup.

Even using two ... of the OEM coolers in series .... is inadequate.

Once you bypass the heat exchanger ... which keeps the oil temps relatively stable ... albeit too high - according to most tranny oil data and temp gauge displays ....

.... you need an efficient cooler of reasonable dimensions ....Something along the lines of what Hubs97XJ posted or even a tad larger depending on your climate and driving loads.

The bypassed heat exchanger and a proper sized, oil cooler - will create a slightly longer tranny oil temp "warmup" time ... especially in colder weather
.... but if temps are monitored with a gauge .... the warmup delay is not nearly as long or as catastrophic .... as internet rhetoric would have you believe.

X2 on previous suggestions to get some form of oil temp gauge.

Use the gauge to see how your current setup is coping ... and whether changes you make ... are of benefit.

Last edited:
Back