• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Since roof consoles are rare...

N8N_99xj

NAXJA Forum User
...and I'm thinking I will put a CB by the visors anyway, I'm thinking of getting one of those fancy rear view mirrors with the outside temp display (the main reason that I would want the roof console; I find that to be a great safety feature for the kinds of driving I do.) Am thinking of using the Cipa 36500, is that the best tool for the job or is there something else? Auto-dim is not absolutely necessary; I'm more concerned about getting the outside temp display. I also like that it's apparently an undocumented feature that the map lights can be wired into the dome lights (it seems that you always need more light in the vehicle when rummaging around looking for stuff.) Anything else I should be considering? I was thinking of getting a ScanGauge if I decide down the road that I want the "trip computer" functions (as I've determined that the trip computer built into my GPS is pretty worthless...)

Do some research as there are numerous stock mirrors with the functions you are looking for. I installed an auto-dimmer from a 93 ZJ into my 98 XJ. It only took three connections. Power, Ground and a line to the backup lights. The reverse connection being the only "tricky" one to make.

Why the backup connection? It disables the dimmer when in reverse.

I did look, it doesn't look like there's much out there for less than $80-90ish on fleaBay that includes outside temp. I'm pretty sure that I'm going to order that mirror now that I found this

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/64786-cipa-36500-rear-view-mirror-install.html

Follow Up Report:

I contacted CIPA for the mirror pin out and they provided it. It was part of a schematic for installing the courtesy light to a +12v switch system. My plan was to hook this up but I recently decided to sell the 4Runner and leave it in India. As I mentioned on a previous post, I have to move back to the US for a year and I can't ship the vehicle. I decided to just buy a new (to me) car (most likely a 4th gen 4runner) and ship that to Turkey from the US.

Here's the pinout

Pin Function
1 Ignition controlled 12 volts
2 Ground
3 Reverse Autodimming Inhibit (optional use).
4 Temperature wire 1 (PN 36500 and 36501 only)
5 Temperature wire 2 (PN 36500 and 36501 only)
6 Ground when door is open for courtesy light function. (Optional)
7 jumper to Ignition controlled 12V (pin 1) or constant 12v if courtesy light function (pin 6) is connected.

So it looks like you can make it work properly and it even has a "reverse inhibit" function which I'm not sure how useful it is but I know that a lot of the factory mirrors use that functionality. So I'll probably buy this one unless someone talks me out of it or offers a better option...?

I got a Dynex 177 out of a suburban at the junk for 40 or so.
Autodim, compass, and temp. I always thought autodim was lame, but I actually love it!

Heres a write-up.
http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f51/auto-dim-mirror-retro-temp-compass-36308/

I pulled one from a buick at the pull-a-part for like 5 bucks. Of course i didnt check the wires before cutting them, so i found out what happens when you hook one up wrong... It bubbles like hell. So just trace the wires before you pull it and you'll be fine. Really simple if you're not intoxicated when you decide to hook it up... :D

That's because it says Peterbuilt. If it said Kenworth it would be $10 more. Like Nike shoes. You pay for a name.

Actually that part doesn't have Pete on it. The one from Peterbilt was $150.

I'd find one from a Freightliner but I actually want the gauge to work. :)

Back