• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Locker in the rear?

Locker in the rear? I hardly know 'er!

whay locker? auto or 5spd? where you being stupid with the throttle, with the exception of snow and ice my rear aussie was 100% invisible

I have a detroit auto locker in the rear and have no issues with it on gravel etc, did 3000kms of red dirt and corrugations a few months ago and the locker had no adverse effects.

Cheers
Steve

I have a Detroit in the rear with an auto tranny and I can barely tell its there unless I am making a turn at full-lock under medium or higher throttle.

Manual trannies are known to be more difficult with rear lockers - the instant transition between on and off throttle can cause issues.

Oh, i see, you're the guy who just got his first car. Didn't make that connection until now...

I think most of the fishtailing is because these Jeeps are pretty light in the rear. Having a locker doesn't help, but it's not the only cause.

YOU WILL TAKE MY JOKE, AND YOU WILL LIKE IT!

you just need to watch how much gas you give it when letting out the clutch. go easy on it and it will be fine. haha i can blow sideways on gravel roads at the junkyard i work in with an open diff station wagon. never mind MY welded rear end in my cherokee. its no big deal. you'll get used to it-after all this is your first vehicle correct?

How much air you running in the tires? If you drop it down it will ride better and not skip around as much.

That plus having good shocks back there will help keep the wheels on the ground.

I could drive sideways in my XJ with open diff on dirt road especially if there are a few bumps. As said earlier, that is half the fun,...think about Iowa farm roads when I was there in 2007.

And that said, you should slow down until you get the hang of it. Your bumper may be stronger than a fence post, but your roof isn't harder than the ground.

I'm not going to find my limits. Theres just too much at risk. I've only had the rig for 5 days and would be a shame to loose it so fast. If I wreck it now, I'll have to wait until college to get a new car. With that being said, doesn't mean im not going to have fun in it. Around here there's plenty of open dirt fields waiting for that spring rain. And at our deer camp there's a dried up creek full of sand. So I'll still have fun with it! :)

I really enjoy my manual shifted XJ on dirtroads especially because of its light rear end. Shifting down before a turn and taking it sideways is a hell lot of fun! I don't have a Locker in the rear axle yet, but even the stupid tracloc works quite well in this case. You got to be carefull though...a friend of mine just flopped his Ford Ranger on the drivers side because he tried to drift through a tight turn too fast! :looser:

What i didn't quite understand is: Why don't you switch to 4 Hi when you don't feel save with that fishtailing!? Is your XJ a 2wd or what?
The AWD gives a lot of stability even if you just go straight ahead...

Back