• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

All Who Oppose Tranny Flush...Say "I"

Cherokeekid88

NAXJA Forum User
So I realized that I haven't done anything transmission wise on my jeep since I have owned my jeep. I have owned it for 3 years...When I bought the jeep, the tranny fluid was nice and bright red. I have only put 16k miles on it since I have owned it, so I am at that point where something needs to be done. I know most people vote for a Drain/Refill option, but honestly, that takes so long to get all that fluid out.... So what do you guys say about doing a flush vs. dropping the pan and replacing the screen filter then refilling?

Cut the the transmission line near the radiator and have someone start the Jeep for you. It will pump out about 2-3 quarts of transmission fluid at a time. Put in the same amount of new transmission fluid that was pumped out. Then use a 3/8" male to male barbed connector and two hose clamps to reconnect the line. This whole process took me about 20 mins.

i flushed my tranny right after i bought my jeep a little over a year ago, and added a bottle of lucas tranny conditioner. it grabbed shifts better than it did before the flush, im about to flush my tranny once again...i have had no bad results from doing a flush. quick and easy, works great for me.

Pull drain bolt, drain, refill 3-4 qts fluid. Drive 1000. Repeat. Drive 1000 repeat. Drive 1000. repeat. Done.

Mine was black mud when I got it. After 4 drain/refills, it's a beautiful pinkish red.
Nice n slow is the way to go.

Pull drain bolt, drain, refill 3-4 qts fluid. Drive 1000. Repeat. Drive 1000 repeat. Drive 1000. repeat. Done.

Mine was black mud when I got it. After 4 drain/refills, it's a beautiful pinkish red.

X2, there is a drain bolt on the pan of the AW4, which allows you to drain about 2.5 quarts. I do that to mine about once a year, and that is all they seem to need.

No need to cut the line (OMG:scared:), LOL, it has a drain bolt in the pan bottom. The filter is not a filter but a rock and boulder screen, and does not need replacing on jeeps.

"I", OMG, :scared:, I never was much on Enemas!!!!! :gag: LOL, neither are most TRANNY's (LOL). Most sudden death syndromes of transmissions are caused by flushing dirty transmissions. It knocks too much crap loose all at once and clogs up the valve body.

Cut the the transmission line near the radiator and have someone start the Jeep for you. It will pump out about 2-3 quarts of transmission fluid at a time. Put in the same amount of new transmission fluid that was pumped out. Then use a 3/8" male to male barbed connector and two hose clamps to reconnect the line. This whole process took me about 20 mins.

This is how I do it also. Change 2 gallons fluid in less than 10 mins. Done.

I agree as well. This is a safe way to get fresh fluid into your transmission. Use DEX/MERC III compatible fluid.

i use the machine at my buddys shop, T in by the rad. i would much rather use the machine then have to get under and mess with the tranny a half dozen times just to get one job done, my tranny was never cooked in the first place, so i had no fear of a full flush. if your trans was cooked then maybe the slow and steady method would be the way to go...

Last edited:
Why not use the QD fitting on the radiator?

Because I also run a Ford Explorer tranny cooler and its easier to just open that existing splice, put the tube in a bucket, and pump it out. The tranny quick disco is another viable method.

X2, there is a drain bolt on the pan of the AW4, which allows you to drain about 2.5 quarts. I do that to mine about once a year, and that is all they seem to need.

I do this at every motor oil change (5k). Takes little time and helps keep the fluid fresh. Mine also takes 2.5 qts each time.

No need to cut the line (OMG:scared:), LOL, it has a drain bolt in the pan bottom. The filter is not a filter but a rock and boulder screen, and does not need replacing on jeeps.

"I", OMG, :scared:, I never was much on Enemas!!!!! :gag: LOL, neither are most TRANNY's (LOL). Most sudden death syndromes of transmissions are caused by flushing dirty transmissions. It knocks too much crap loose all at once and clogs up the valve body.

I agree...seen it happen more than once. I work on a friend's '01 Suburban with 330,000 miles. The last time we worked on it he asked about changing the trans fluid. I said, "Don't even think about it, just keep the level up."

It makes me a little nervous to do the full flush. Had a shop do it on my silverado just before going hunting and within a 100 miles had shifting problems. $350 later it ended up being a stuck solenoid because the flush broke too much crud loose.

Now I do the drain and refill on my 5 car fleet and have never had a problem.

I do like to run some Lucas Transfix in each. Seems to help with the hard shifting in the hot weather.

My kids XJ was shifting hard last week and it already has lucas in it. I put a pint of Seafoam Transtune in which will slowly desolve deposits and clean the internals. It also conditions the fluid. His jeep hasn't shifted this well since we got it. The Seafoam won't break loose big chunks of stuff to clog anything either. I usually run some seafoam before a drain at least. You can also put some in and leave it. I'm impressed with it.:thumbup:

I've never personally had problems come up when trans flushing a customer's car. I hear from a lot of folks how it will loosen up too much crud & block a solenoid or start leaking. Maybe. I haven't had that experience yet.
If you are worried, drain & refill at every oil change for the next 3 or 4.
Remember that each time you drain & fill, you are refreshing %25 to %50 of the fluid. Do it once, your fluid is still %75 bad or %50 bad. Next time you do it, you are draining half-bad fluid & reaching 62.5 "good" or 87.5 or so. Etc.

This is the best way, since we all know the AW4 should have a tranny cooler you shouldn't need to cut the hard line as it should already be done. They key to this is to overfill the tranny slightly at the start, and to make sure you put the tranny in each gear and reverse during the process. The internal pump will flush the entire thing for you.

Back