• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering brace with lift?

RaptorXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have heard alot of mix oppinons on XJs with lifts and steering braces. Some people say any lift should have a steering brace. Others say there not really needed. Like my best friend has a 2001 XJ with a long arm 4.5 inch lift has had it on his jeep for 2 years and doesnt have one and he off roads atleast once a month.

Now other people I have talked to have sometimes a 3inch lift and have them on. Whats your guys oppinon. I ask as I have a 1 inch lift and thinking going with a 3" lift and just woundering if should spend the extra 65 dollars for one or not

I don't think the lift height has much to do with the steering brace. it's how much force you are putting into the frame. You can have 10" of lift and skinny tires that weigh nothing and it won't be as bad as running heaving 33s on 2" of lift. I think if you drive on road a lot, you can get away with it. But if you're up against a rock air-ed down, you'll want to brace the frame as a lot of force will be going against it.

I don't' like the brace so much as I do the frame re-enforcement similar to c-rok and what others sell, it strengthens the frame rail for the added stress.

exactly. if youre wheeling in places that your tires are getting bound up and you are trying to turn i would get one before you HAVE to.

If you wheel with larger than stock tires you will eventually have cracks in your frame around the steering box....period. Part of that is not keeping the steering box bolts tight, tightening those bolts should be a part of regular maintenance. The main issue with the frame cracking is the frame flexing, so doing a C-Rok plate or installing the JKS SBS is the best way to go.

Installing just a steering box brace will actually lead to more frame cracking eventually. There is quite a bit of frame flex between the steering box and the track bar frame mount. It is highly recommended to do both, a steering box brace and a track bar mount cross frame brace. Most of the good XJ lift kits now come with a cross frame track bar brace, for this very reason.

So, do a frame reinforcement around the box, or use both a box brace and a track bar mount brace.

I understand a little better, thanks guys!

I am just running right now 235-75-15s. In the future of a year or so I may like to go to 30s maybe even 31s but thats all I will run. I like off roading but I dont do much really challange my jeep too much. I like going into puddles, sand pits, and dirt hills.

From what I understand prob with my 235-75s I can skip the steering brace for now but once I get 30s-31s I should look into getting one esp since there only 65 dollars

If you don't need to, stay with 30's or smaller, especially if you do not plan to regear. I only went with 31's because I got them for cheap. From experience driving on 31's with stock 3.55s/aw4 was not very fun. Do-able? Yes. Ideal? No. With 31's and 4.10 gears, my mileage is about where it was before I re-geared.

If you don't need to, stay with 30's or smaller, especially if you do not plan to regear. I only went with 31's because I got them for cheap. From experience driving on 31's with stock 3.55s/aw4 was not very fun. Do-able? Yes. Ideal? No. With 31's and 4.10 gears, my mileage is about where it was before I re-geared.

Hmmm, good advice! I will def remember that! 30s at best it is then! As that is what I have the 3.55s/AW4 auto.

Back