• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

FiveOmotorsport Injector question

91to99

NAXJA Forum User
I am in the process of installing these and come across a possible problem. The groove for the retainer clip is in the wrong spot.
IMAG0525.jpg

Has anyone come across this before?

dont use the retaining clip then. I know on all of my xjs, the fuel rail bolts down and all my injectors are snug.
x2.. Same with my 5.0 injectors.

X whatever, those clips are there so that when you pull the rail all of the injectors come out of the intake with it. The clips serve no other purpose than to aid in the R&R of the fuel rail.

Well I put the old ones back in before I noticed your responses.
She is still running much better since I cleaned this up.
IMAG0523.jpg

The IAC was pretty much fozen in place, but after a little love it started to move well.
Tomorrow I will call FiveO and see what they have to say just to cover my bases.

X whatever, those clips are there so that when you pull the rail all of the injectors come out of the intake with it. The clips serve no other purpose than to aid in the R&R of the fuel rail.

dont use the retaining clip then. I know on all of my xjs, the fuel rail bolts down and all my injectors are snug.

Everyone has their opinions...

Personally I wouldn't test that theory.
The factory installs them for a reason; to keep them from moving around when the fuel rail is pressurized.
When your Jeep goes up in a FIREBALL due to testing this theory; hope I am around to hand you a fire extinguisher.

Last edited:

The factory installs them for a reason; to keep them from moving around when the fuel rail is pressurized.
When your Jeep goes up in a FIREBALL due to testing this theory; hope I am around to hand you a fire extinguisher.
Yes they put them there for a reason, mine been like that for quite sometime now, wheeling from rocks, snow, mud, to the dessert. I personally never had a problem without them.

x2

I installed these injectors and ran into the same issue with the clips, its been bolted down for a while now and those things havent moved anywhere

When I installed them on my '98 the grooves were in the proper location and the clips fit perfectly. I would recommend instead of installing the fuel injectors without the clips; contact Five O and have them resolve the problem.

I had the same question with a set from FiveO. They said don't use the clips and it will be fine. I don't think they are necessary and primarily for the assembly line so they won't fall out. Most vehicles don't use a retainer clip.

Well, I called Five O and they said that they generally don't install the clips on these.
And looking closer at the picture, the plastic "gusset" on the new ones look like they end at the same place as the old injectors groove. If they do move in and out it won't be much...
I will tear it down again this weekend I hope and take another look at it.

Back