• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best tires for my xj

seabass1858

NAXJA Forum User
A little off topic, but I am looking for the best all around all terrain tire for my 1995xj because my 33x10-50 bfg at are wearing out. I already have Firestone destination ats for my kj 265/75/r16s for when the lift gets installed. I am looking for my xj now. I want a tire that will overcome all obstacles. minor rocks, moderate mud, deep, deep snow, ice/slush, sand is another must, and I also want great tread life as well. Any input?

Pretty much any of the newer Mud terrains will satisfy your needs.. The KM2 has a Good life span but many reviews say they suck in the snow, the Kevlar has the strongest sidewall, and they are awesome in the snow, But my set is wearing FAST..

I'm currently looking for my parents XJ, and I think i'm gonna go with the Goodyear Duratrac.. Seems to be one of the best all around Tires on the market right now..

I dont think you can go wrong with any of todays tires.. I really love my kevlars tho!

My $0.02 BTW, This is the northwest chapter.. you moving here? or did you know you posted in the wrong area?

I'm currently looking for my parents XJ, and I think i'm gonna go with the Goodyear Duratrac.. Seems to be one of the best all around Tires on the market right now..

ohh, i can take a hint:anon:

A little off topic, but I am looking for the best all around all terrain tire for my 1995xj because my 33x10-50 bfg at are wearing out. I already have Firestone destination ats for my kj 265/75/r16s for when the lift gets installed. I am looking for my xj now. I want a tire that will overcome all obstacles. minor rocks, moderate mud, deep, deep snow, ice/slush, sand is another must, and I also want great tread life as well. Any input?

dont listen to theese :moon:... buy my tires! http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1076018 :thumbup:

:D Bronze

Another vote for the duratracs! The bfg all terrain is great for snow/sand and street. But fall on their face in mud and our PNW rocks. Add that with thier less than desirable side wall, duratracs FTW

Tim, your running Cooper STT's right? What's your opinion on them?

You know I have completely forgot about my tires on the jeep. Lol

So far I have been extremely happy with them. I don't have mummy road miles on them, but they have great traction in the mud and rocks, even running about 8 psi I have not had any sidewall issues. When Ive been in the snow they did great, didn't dig too much and seemed to find traction. I really wish they were siped, i think they would really come alive then.
As far as sand I don't know, haven't been in that kind of terrain yet

I had the new discover stt's when I lived in Pittsburgh. I loved them. When I have to buy another set of 35s at some point I'll be buying those. They just did awesome in every condition. And for a mt wasn't too loud on the freeway. Much quiter than the km2's are.

Then again, those are mt's and not at's like the op is asking.

I'm a fan of the duratrac. Never had personal experience, but it is a pretty looking tire.

From an AT tire perspective the Duratracs are an excellent choice, however their one and only major draw back is their sidewall strength. They have a Very soft sidewall and it is often a complaint from users. They should be excellent in the snow/ice. I have no idea about the sand.

The BFG has always been the AT tire of choice and has always been what everyone compares an AT tire to. In my opinion it is still an excellent tire. Of course it doesn't do well in the mud and wet rocks it is an AT tire and compared to any other AT tire it is similar. It does very well in the snow/ice/sand compared to many others.

Other tires I have used, or have experience with that are all decent and all have their own down or up sides:
Toyo Open Country AT, excellent on the street, good wear, not the greatest traction off road.
SST, excellent all around tire, not the greatest wear, not as good in the snow/ice.
Michelin XMS, excellent on the street, snow/ice, excellent wear, not as good off road.

Michael

I'm gonna throw my hat in the ring for the Duratrac's. I had read over 200 reviews on them before I purchased mine, and couldn't find a negative one. There were a couple complaints about the sidewalls, but that was from guys running them on full sized or otherwise heavy curb weight vehicles. Granted on an XJ, you cant air them down to 8psi like you could just about any other M/T... but at 15 psi, they squat pretty well and grip like crazy. They wear awesome, and from my experience, nothing beats them in the snow. They've done well in the Oregon Clay around here.
I like their road manners, and i've really put mine thru their paces on the trails. I slammed one hard enough to break a rim when aired down, and it still held a bead, without so much as a chunk of rubber missing. My only gripe is they dont offer them in a 33x10.5.....

Hi-tec retreads. I haven't ran them yet, but I intend too. Can't be beat for the price.

Simex

1871b4ee-d490-bcd8.jpg

Hi-tec retreads. I haven't ran them yet, but I intend too. Can't be beat for the price.

I ran Hi-tec retreads years ago and they were excellent. For the price you really couldn't beat them.

I believe they have updated their tread pattern since I had them but they were excellent. I would recommend them to others.

Michael

Back