• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear sway bar link ?

Keep the links and brackets for other fun projects...

but X2 on ditching the rear bar. My MJ did not even come with one. I never missed my swaybar on the XJ either...actually improved the overall handling.

I just pulled up my Factory Parts list and it shows "CUSHION, sway eliminator" part number5200 1145 . Calls for 4 of them which implies the cushions for the "RETAINER, sway bar" are the same.

On the other hand, if yours is a Street Jeep look to an aftermarket sway bar setup for both ends!

Hope this helps!

Ditch the rear! Its the first thing I did to my jeep when I bought it. I don't even have my front sway bar anymore, but that i would suggest keeping if you don't want to feel like your driving a boat.:gee:

Funny,... it seem no one could help on this repair.

The '94 XJ I once owned came with a rear sway bar which I removed a few months later. I did not notice a difference in the handling with it removed. The '96 Country did not have one from the factory. I do not miss something I never had. Handling is as good as could be expected of a SUV.

Try www.rockauto.com. They'e listed under "stabilizer link assembly" in the "suspension" category. They don't list just the bushings, but each one starts at about $11.

I drive a lot on the highway, and I tried it without the rear connected. I hated it, too much body roll with my current setup. I live about 40 miles south of the boonies, so I get out wheeling alot on the weekends and never disconnect it. It may limit my rear flex some, but I can't tell because it will still stuff a tire enough to rub, but rides better on the road.:rolleyes:

Just an FYI, I am looking at installing a better rear sway (Addco 420 maybe) and use the disconnects I removed from the front bar so to disconnect the rear on the trail. Too many idiots out there that may cause me to have to suddenly swerve out of the way.

I like the paint on my Heep. and would prefer it to stay on the sheet metal and not the road surface...

I spend a lot of time with a boat trailer on the back and don't need a lot of flex for the wheeling I do. I'll keep my sway bars.

In my opinion, if you do carry plenty of load in the back or in your case tow trailers it is better to keep the rear sway bar.

In my case, I seldom have more than 200 lbs of cargo back there and 99% of the time I am alone in the XJ. I also have a main leaf from a Dakota added under the XJ main leaf which stiffens the entire rear end and reduces body roll. It is dampened by a pair of Bilstien 5150 shocks with 255/70 valving. With light load on wash board roads it seem to be a bit on the stiff side but perfect for high speed on/off highway ramps manuvers.

Back