• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What is a good header for xj

That's a little on the high side unless its a "performance header"...
Many XJ owners will tell you that a more practical exhaust manifold replacement with built in "flex" points that account for thermal expansion and contraction (reason why the oem and many solid tube headers crack to begin with.)
Here's one that alot of us have used and that perform as good if not better than stock, and last many many years: (oh its also less than 100 bucks and has free shipping)
http://www.1aauto.com/1A/ExhaustMan...opping&utm_source=google_base&utm_content=EEMhttp://www.1aauto.com/1A/ExhaustManifolds/Jeep/Cherokee/1AEEM00147/255376

I've seen these for less than that, but not by much, just start searching around. Also be sure to swap out your motor mounts, those degrading over time are another prime cause of manifold cracking.

That's a little on the high side unless its a "performance header"...
Many XJ owners will tell you that a more practical exhaust manifold replacement with built in "flex" points that account for thermal expansion and contraction (reason why the oem and many solid tube headers crack to begin with.)
Here's one that alot of us have used and that perform as good if not better than stock, and last many many years: (oh its also less than 100 bucks and has free shipping)
http://www.1aauto.com/1A/ExhaustManifolds/Jeep/Cherokee/1AEEM00147/255376

I've seen these for less than that, but not by much, just start searching around. Also be sure to swap out your motor mounts, those degrading over time are another prime cause of manifold cracking.
hmm, interesting, i have the same one on a spare motor, except that i'm not sure if it's stainless since it's a little rusty. I know stainless can rust, so it is possible that it is, but i just assumed it was a stock zj manifold.

edit: autozone sells one identical to that but probably not stainless. im guessing that's the one i have.

Last edited:
You should be happy with the results and longevity.
And although the one that "hubs97xj" suggested is better than the oem ones, I've read several reviews of guys running those, and have had to deal with cracks, and broken welds.
That being said, I hear their customer service is awesome. No questions asked return, and some have even said they have picked up the tab on the shipping. Bu the ones that you ordered seem to be one of the more preferred (more and more nowadays because of the economy) amongst 4.0L owners. I wheel with a couple of TJ guys who run these, and haven't had any issues in years. Most of the XJ guys love 'em too.
Be sure to post up how the install goes, and your review on the before and after.

anyone know how well those manifolds play with california emissions? i know headers without carb numbers don't fly, i'm not sure where "replacement parts" like these fall in that department. visual test, not sniffer test.

you can barely see the header anyway, its buried under the intake manifold. make sure you have it on for a while so the shine wears off and run it.

anyone know how well those manifolds play with california emissions? i know headers without carb numbers don't fly, i'm not sure where "replacement parts" like these fall in that department. visual test, not sniffer test.

Most of the replacement manifolds are near identical to the OEM tubular exhaust manifolds. I've never had a problem, nor heard of any, but my Banks does have an EO number.

Don't '00+ manifolds have precats in them?

I almost bought the APN one but found a great deal on a Magnaflow header. It isn't as great as I hoped. It has a slip style dual down pipe which leaks like a sieve. Whatever, it is better than my cracked up OEM one.

Make sure you install new motor mounts. They are likely the reason for the cracked header and you'll just crack your new one if you don't. They are cheap.

Smog N Go have me a hard time with my APN header during last year's smog check. After witnessing them climb all over, under, and around my engine bay, I asked then what they were looking for and they said then did not want to pass my emissions due to the APN header and lack of CARB sticker. They passed it, but reluctantly (for whatever that's worth). I really don't want to hassle with this again and will come armed on the next visit, and will talk to them in advance of the test.

That being said, I hear their customer service is awesome. No questions asked return, and some have even said they have picked up the tab on the shipping.

I put an APN on mine and the weld vanished where the rear tubes join. It kept getting progressively louder and when I finally pulled it off to check it, I noticed a hole in the middle of the joint. But, I just emailed them and they have my invoice on file, gave me an RMA# and I had a new one in my hands in two days. And the replacement one still has a lifetime warranty. It does suck replacing it, especially when I'm running the 97+ intake and it needs to be "adjusted" to fit.

Just about any header will crack if you didn't put some good motormounts in your XJ, so keep that in mind.

This and I would recommend a flex joint in the exhaust if you get bigger exhaust made for it. When I put my first APN on, the drivers mount was toast. Right after I did the header and mount I had custom exhaust made for it and had the flex pipe put in close to the manifold to take any strain of the header when then engine torqued. I don't have any proof that it helps, but it can't hurt.

what is some good motor mounts for me to buy then?

I already have 2.5" exhaust all the way back with a new cat, o2 sensors, cherry bomb. plus i just ordered a bored out tb also.

Brown Dog.

I went with the rubber mounts since I dont want to have everything rattle in the jeep when idling. They are worth the 90 bucks or whatever they are.

Back