• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

To pull, or not to pull...

tommy54

NAXJA Forum User
I got my new-to-me blown up 2000 XJ home yesterday. Here's what I know.

-Good oil pressure up to operating temperature
-went from operating temp to overheating very quickly
-was told that it was overheated and motor was junk, but they didn't look into it
-misfire but no check engine light
-no compression on cylinder 2, low on cylinder 3.
-only spark plug on cylinder 2 looked bad, oil looked good.
-knocks slightly but hard to tell because of the misfire.

I planned on replacing the engine. Do I go through the hassle of pulling the oil pan to inspect, or just call it dead and pull it? Also, it's been a few years since i did an xj motor swap, do you recommend pulling the engine, tranny and t case, or just the motor by itself?

I would pull the head. May just need a head gasket replaced. Mine was bad between 4 and 5.

Is it an 0331 head casting? If yes, plan on replacing the head and the gasket, 0331 head was notorious for cracking.

Get the head off then inspect the pistons, and cyl walls. Then if it looks promising, decide if you want to pull the oil pan and check the rods, or not.

I would also pull and photo all six spark plugs.

I'm pulling the head right now. Noticed the electrode from plug 2 was pushed in, not bashed in, but definitely no real gap.
It should be the 0331 head, just popped the valve cover off and no evidence of a crack that I can see. I have a 0721 head from a 94 that I'll throw on anyway.

If the engine wasn't knocking I'd be more optimistic. We'll see what is under the head....

I would just pull the whole engine. With that knock no sense in trying to mess with the oil pan until it is out of the XJ. If you are going to pull the engine trans and tcase together better have a good lift with nice big casters that roll good. I seem to remember that being a 2 man Job.

Last time I pulled the engine/trans/t case I had to have a friend stand on the cherry picker to counterbalance it. That's why I'm hoping to pull just the engine this time. Seems easy enough. Of course I can say that now before I do it...

I have pulled a few just engine.

Its not too bad of a job just take your time.

Also unbolt the torque convertor and leave it IN the trans then you have almost no chance boogering up your pump gears.

Just be ready to be horrified when you pull the head. We did a swap for a guy and his radiator looked like it had straight up poo in it. It smelled like a yeti's taint also. You could move the piston a good 1/8 to 1/4 inch in any direction lol.

Funny thing is, guy couldnt figure out what the noise was and why it was overheating. No cracked head just a huge leak in the head gasket.

Back