• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Who gets rid of the E brake?

Super mud

NAXJA Forum User
Got the jeep with no E brake, set it up when i did the disc brake swap, wouldn't work no matter how tight, got an 8.8 now, said F the E brake.

I have an auto. I was going to make a driveshaft brake to put on the tcase output but don't want to find the material to make a rotor and deal with it in general. Plus the handle takes up valuable console space that would be nice to use. Any good reason to keep to use on/off road?

Yes, there is a good reason: emergencies, which is why its called an "emergency" brake. I personally wouldn't remove it, since I've actually used mine when I blew a brake line to stop myself. Also, does your state require a working e-brake for inspections? Another good reason to keep it.

It is fairly easy to make the ford 8.8 e-brake work on the XJ. I have 8.8 discs on my 44 and have a working e-brake. It would honestly be much more work to do a driveshaft brake than get those brakes working.

Yes you need an Ebrake. I set mine all the time and both my XJ and my F150 are auto's. It drives my wife nuts. But Id rather rest my vehicle on the brake drum than the drive train.

I drive stick shifts. Emergency/parking brakes are mandatory.

you could get the clevis, but the cable needs to come out of the housing to install them.
One could probably get away with ordering the clevis and set screw block.

For my ZJ brakes i just drilled the lever and used the "U" part of a 1/8" cable clamp. This idea might work with the 8.8 brakes as well

0121120950.jpg

0121120949.jpg

0120122046.jpg

I havent had an e brake since my handle assembly failed so i just cut out all the cables from the engine tunnel to the drums.

I plan on using line lock brakes wonce i Get my 60's in.. Plus line locks are alot more safer than a cable brake

I plan on using line lock brakes wonce i Get my 60's in.. Plus line locks are alot more safer than a cable brake

I disagree. if you loose hydraulic pressure you will not have brakes that will hold. Also there is no way to slow a vehicle down with a line lock in the event you loose brakes on the road.

Its called an "Emergency Brake" for a reason!

Now if your rig is trail only, line locks are fine but I would still use the line lock in conjunction with a working E-brake

I'll never understand why ebrakes are set up as drum brakes inside a disk from a manufacturer standpoint.

Thanks for the pics xjtrailrider. That looks like a good idea.

Historic tags so no inspections.

Yea manuals scare me for that reason of rotating the engine over.
My friend's doesn't hold well so he has a wheel chock on a rope inside his wrangler

I trust my drivetrain way more over a set of tiny drums to keep it from rolling away

I've lost brakes a couple times but because of the dual master cylinder resovoir, you loose front or back and it stops pretty decently on rear disc.

Yea line locks don't work for emergencies. I'd use one for parking though.

They make calipers with a mechanical lever on them. Boostwerks has a set on his I think.

Complete BS, for reasons listed below.
I disagree. if you loose hydraulic pressure you will not have brakes that will hold. Also there is no way to slow a vehicle down with a line lock in the event you loose brakes on the road.

Its called an "Emergency Brake" for a reason!

Now if your rig is trail only, line locks are fine but I would still use the line lock in conjunction with a working E-brake

I've lost brakes a couple times but because of the dual master cylinder resovoir, you loose front or back and it stops pretty decently on rear disc.

That is because of the safety valve in the proportioning valve, it shuts when front or rear brakes lose pressure. It has nothing to do with the master cylinder :D

Just FYI ;)

I havent had an e brake since my handle assembly failed so i just cut out all the cables from the engine tunnel to the drums.

The idea is that the emergency brake system should be as separate from the main braking system as possible. This means that the emergency brakes need to be as close to to the wheels as they can, so no pinion mounted brakes either.

If you look at a drum setup, you'll see that the actuating system is only 1 arm away from the shoes.

It's not an emergency brake, it's a parking brake. People erroneously call them parking brakes. Years ago they actually did put "emergency brakes" on cars, they were on the front wheels as they should be.

You can use a parking brake to slow down in an emergency, but you better say your prayers if you're going faster than 40mph. Slamming on the parking brake could do all sorts of funky stuff.

That said, i spent 2 hours making my parking brake work when i did my late-model console swap last weekend. No reason to not have one!

It's not an emergency brake, it's a parking brake. People erroneously call them parking brakes. Years ago they actually did put "emergency brakes" on cars, they were on the front wheels as they should be.

You can use a parking brake to slow down in an emergency, but you better say your prayers if you're going faster than 40mph. Slamming on the parking brake could do all sorts of funky stuff.

That said, i spent 2 hours making my parking brake work when i did my late-model console swap last weekend. No reason to not have one!
x2.. it is a PARKING BRAKE.

Back