• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Won't Start!! Clutch Problem?

ausi02

NAXJA Forum User
So I have a 4.0 98 AX15 2 Door Cherokee.... When I turn the key (with the clutch in) nothing happens. I maintain connection (doesn't cut out), and the battery is fine. The starter just isn't turning at all. I used a pull start to drive over an hour at highway speeds. When I turn the key with the clutch out it behaves exactly the same (which you would expect it to). This leads me to the conclusion that whatever allows the motor to start when you push the clutch in is bad. What controls that? Is there a fuse that could have blown or a sensor that is bad? This started happening after a very cold start in the morning, I went for gas and after trying to start back up and nothing....

Thanks for the help guys

(ps, I tried searching, but didn't really know what to search for?)

Does it start with the tranny in neutral. I know it's an AX15, but I rarely have my truck in gear when I'm starting it...is your clutch disengaging completely?

Have not heard of an NSS in a manual, but then I don't have a 98

Does it start with the tranny in neutral. I know it's an AX15, but I rarely have my truck in gear when I'm starting it...is your clutch disengaging completely?

Have not heard of an NSS in a manual, but then I don't have a 98
There is a clutch interlock switch that serves the same function as the NSS and is wired to the same relay. My 99 had a problem with the switch and I just bagged it.

The switch is actuated by the clutch pedal, so it's not hard to find and see if it's the culprit. If you can, just get down there and see if the pedal is pushing the button on the switch. If it is not, perhaps you can adjust it. If it is, try shorting the switch out and see if it starts then.

There is a clutch interlock switch that serves the same function as the NSS and is wired to the same relay. My 99 had a problem with the switch and I just bagged it.

The switch is actuated by the clutch pedal, so it's not hard to find and see if it's the culprit. If you can, just get down there and see if the pedal is pushing the button on the switch. If it is not, perhaps you can adjust it. If it is, try shorting the switch out and see if it starts then.

I really didn't see a button that it was hitting, just the rod that is actuating the clutch itself, there were wires connected to it so I am assuming it works using that somehow.

How did you bypass the switch?

I really didn't see a button that it was hitting, just the rod that is actuating the clutch itself, there were wires connected to it so I am assuming it works using that somehow.

How did you bypass the switch?
I can't now remember just how it was arranged, but assuming it has a plug connector, you can unplug the connector, and get a piece of stiff copper wire, bend it into a U, and insert it into the plug. In my own case, I snipped the nasty thing off and connected the wires with a wire nut. But of course that's only if you are willing to dispense with it forever. I really don't like clutch interlocks (obviously).

I really don't like clutch interlocks (obviously).

Like I said, my MJ does not have one (or it's broken to the good). WTF, I'm old fashioned. It's an 88.

My AW4 on the XJ def. has a working NSS and I DON'T want to bypass it. But on a manual I expect ->push clutch -> start...or to be able to start in N, completely out of gear.

On my 97 TJ with an AX 15 there was actually somethin in the owners manual about bypassing the clutch switch for trail use with the disclaimer in bold to reverse the bypass mod when done on the trail and returning to street use.

lets see; 98 2 door 5 speed; youre having problems with it; You wanna "dump" it? I'd love to have a 2 dr 5 speed XJ!

Like I said, my MJ does not have one (or it's broken to the good). WTF, I'm old fashioned. It's an 88.

My AW4 on the XJ def. has a working NSS and I DON'T want to bypass it. But on a manual I expect ->push clutch -> start...or to be able to start in N, completely out of gear.
The earlier ones did not have it. My 95 did not have any interlock.

There is a clutch bypass on '97s and up...

You can by pass the clutch interlock just to make absolutely sure that is not the problem. Look above the clutch pedal...I found a green connector with yellow wire just looped back to the same green connector. It was taped under the dash right next to the clutch interlock connector. You just unplug the green connector with the yellow wires and plug it into the other green connector, with the yellow wire looped back to itself. That procedure will by pass the interlock...

Back